Sign in to follow this  
Synz

Anti-pulling Coding

First off, intelligent discussion only. No mentions of names, guilds, countries, or any other identifiable wordages. You are welcome to post loop holes in other people's ideas, but no flaming please. Also, present an argument - no "helbreath purists" or disagreements without any backing statements. No speculation.

Post here if you have ideas for a possible fixes for those unsightly disconnections.

-- My first idea --

"Link Dead" - This will keep a players character logged into the server even if the player disconnects (without using the game's logout function). The character's name will be changed to "LinkDead" and subsequent players will be "LinkDead1" "LinkDead2" and so forth. The character WILL NOT take any damage after he goes link dead, so you cannot die in this mode. Here's the kicker: You are given a certain amount of time to log back into the game (to be determined) and then your character goes live and can be killed. Also, if the IP address you were using is detected logging into a separate character, the character that you disconnected on goes live.

Upsides:

1. Will counter pullers permanently.

2. Will take care of (most) same-person spying incidents.

Downsides:

1. If you lose power, well...you're going to die unless they get the power back on before the elapsed allotted time limit.

2. Doesn't counter multi-person spying teams, your friend can spy the area for you. But, this takes more teamwork and effort ;)

Let's hear those ideas guys, hopefully it's not just my idea and a bunch of people critiquing it :P

Like the idea :)

Here i quote one i have posted a time ago. I will only quote my post, to avoid the whole discucssion of that thread.

Its quite annoying to be fighting an aresden (elvs in case of ares) and chasing it for long time, and we you know you are about to kill him because hes running out of pots for example, and he logs out in your face...

Or just, chasing it and logging out..

Its a situation that makes me sick! (and most of players would agree..)

So i was thinking, during the logout countdown the players has to avoid being hitted (this arleady exists) but also he has to stand still and if he makes a step, the countdown is canceled.

So in any kind of fight it would be almost impossible to logout.

In case your hunting, you just invi a log out without any problem.

In case the players has to log out for an emergency...well i would like to think that in an emergency giving out ek and zem wouldn't bee so important...

What do you think ppl?

(im srry for my english if someone finds hard to understand the thread xD)

-- My first idea --

"Link Dead" - This will keep a players character logged into the server even if the player disconnects (without using the game's logout function). The character's name will be changed to "LinkDead" and subsequent players will be "LinkDead1" "LinkDead2" and so forth. The character WILL NOT take any damage after he goes link dead, so you cannot die in this mode. Here's the kicker: You are given a certain amount of time to log back into the game (to be determined) and then your character goes live and can be killed. Also, if the IP address you were using is detected logging into a separate character, the character that you disconnected on goes live.

Upsides:

Downsides:

1. If you lose power, well...you're going to die unless they get the power back on before the elapsed allotted time limit.

2. Doesn't counter multi-person spying teams, your friend can spy the area for you. But, this takes more teamwork and effort ;)

Let's hear those ideas guys, hopefully it's not just my idea and a bunch of people critiquing it :P

I dont like ur idea... Example... Im training with Josu at garden... and then i decide to log out and play with another char... lets say.. Garrapata. If i log on Garrapata, the LinkDead (Josu) will become alive... and i will lose a zem and exp.

This idea is better:

Its quite annoying to be fighting an aresden (elvs in case of ares) and chasing it for long time, and we you know you are about to kill him because hes running out of pots for example, and he logs out in your face...

Or just, chasing it and logging out..

Its a situation that makes me sick! (and most of players would agree..)

So i was thinking, during the logout countdown the players has to avoid being hitted (this arleady exists) but also he has to stand still and if he makes a step, the countdown is canceled.

So in any kind of fight it would be almost impossible to logout.

In case your hunting, you just invi a log out without any problem.

In case the players has to log out for an emergency...well i would like to think that in an emergency giving out ek and zem wouldn't bee so important...

What do you think ppl?

(im srry for my english if someone finds hard to understand the thread xD)

It's gonna be hell if i DC at a pit. Since the character stays there without taking dmg, by the time i log it, i would have been boxed by mobs.

i like your idea synnie

i see no flaw in it. Power going out is quite rare so there is no point for anyone whining about it.

Yeah except logging out will not make you link dead, only disconnections make you link dead.

But in that case your are not covering the people that log out while running from a fight.

It will be useful against Pullers, but not against loggers.

Yeah except logging out will not make you link dead, only disconnections make you link dead.

But in that case your are not covering the people that log out while running from a fight.

Idem.

But honestly, how hard is it to stop someone logging? Have a warrior bring out a bow and shoot them to make sure they don't logout.

It's a nice idea I think, would be cool if it could be implemented.

But honestly, how hard is it to stop someone logging? Have a warrior bring out a bow and shoot them to make sure they don't logout.

It's a nice idea I think, would be cool if it could be implemented.

I challenge u to stop me from logging out.

Last night i ran out of 6 elvs with IE activated...

Im not saying it's impossible to prevent someone logging....

Logging isn't really a focus, as it's possible to still be killed while logging out. (Force logging SHOULD be changed however, and I have a topic for that as well.)

Logging is an intended game function and should not be changed.

for the logging problem i like Svafnir's idea.

although what if youre logging in safe and they summon, you gotta run to dodge the attacks :P other than that nice.

Unfortunately for me, I see pulling as such a minor low frequency issue compared to logging (which to me is what needs a fix more).

To be honest, the issue I see with your idea Synz is that people who pull are temporarily invincible. This means that potentially, pulling can be used to block monsters/players. Finding a balance between what time can be expected for a person to reasonably log back in, and what time they should start taking damage, is going to be near impossible.

I mean think about the limits we now set for arena. 1 min to log back in. Imagine 1 min of invincible blocking. Further, they can pull from an activation, and log back in - players wont know the difference between when he's invincible and when he's not until he gets back in.

-----

I think if you want to fix pulling with the game, you have to be willing to let players die when they DC. Just extend the time it takes for the char to disappear and stop taking damage. Right now a pull, takes about 10 secondsish for a char to disappear? A possible solution would be make it take 1 minute for a pulled char to disappear (and he takes damage this whole time).

Sure, DC's would result in a death, but you'd fix people voluntarily pulling. This is really the weigh-up that you face.

Personally, I don't want this changed. Pulling is rare, players tend to do it when they are boxed and they panic. Logging is 10x more common, and can be dealt with easily.

I'd like to see a change to logging where players must stand still and not take damage for 10-20 seconds, to stop logging on the run.

That simple change, to make it a "can't log while running" thing, would stop 90% of logging in combat cases.

What do you think?

I'd like to see a change to logging where players must stand still and not take damage for 10-20 seconds, to stop logging on the run.

That simple change, to make it a "can't log while running" thing, would stop 90% of logging in combat cases.

What do you think?

Thats what i suggested on other thread and here again :P

some posts above i quoted myself

Yeah Eldon, I was honestly just going to have the character stay in the game originally but I didn't think it would go over well. That would be the easiest fix for pulling.

I have more of a problem against pullers than loggers honestly. People pull when they're seconds from dying and totally rob people of a kill and that's just lame as heck.

How about these changes:

1. Have disconnected characters stay in the game for a set period of time AND take damage during that time. 10 seconds?

2. Make forced logs from outside be able to be cancelled by taking damage and take 10 seconds to complete.

3. Make it so you have to stand still to log out. How about a reduced the time it takes to log out by a few seconds? Would this be a decent compromise? 7 seconds maybe?

This Topic is about Pulling, not about Logging Out. If anyone want to add ideas related to loggers, there is already a topic about it so post there.

First off, intelligent discussion only. No mentions of names, guilds, countries, or any other identifiable wordages. You are welcome to post loop holes in other people's ideas, but no flaming please. Also, present an argument - no "helbreath purists" or disagreements without any backing statements. No speculation.

Post here if you have ideas for a possible fixes for those unsightly disconnections.

-- My first idea --

Upsides:

Downsides:

I dont like the idea, you are punishing innocent players who dont pull to get killed every time they BUMP+DC or LAG+DC.

When you Bump/Lag+DC you can get like 5 seconds of damage and you cant almost chugg pots, then since you get a Connection Lost and you didnt use the game's logout function if you survived the Bump+DC you will finish giving an EK with this Fix because you will be forced to log in after a certain amount of time.

I have like 3 BUMP+DC per day, i see a lot of BUMP+DC from elvs and ares per day... while i see less than 4 pullers per week, so for few 'cheaters' who abuse of something who is not part of the game at all a lot of fair players are going to be punished at Battles or at any other map (let say you lose power at ML while you were alone with no enemy around, someone will pass and find you there and kill you, same the Mobs. Or if you get disconnected because of a Bump or lag, someone will pass there,see your char and know you got disconnected there and just wait you)

About the Spy, most of the players have a Dinamic IP and shut down the Computer or Reset the modem/pull the cable, they can still Spy. This only works to who has a Static IP or who use the other method to pull.

1. Have disconnected characters stay in the game for a set period of time AND take damage during that time. 10 seconds?

2. Make forced logs from outside be able to be cancelled by taking damage and take 10 seconds to complete.

3. Make it so you have to stand still to log out. How about a reduced the time it takes to log out by a few seconds? Would this be a decent compromise? 7 seconds maybe?

1-No. Cos that means that i will have to train without items or zems. 10 seconds taking damage at garden = death.

2-Yes

3-Yes

1-No. Cos that means that i will have to train without items or zems. 10 seconds taking damage at garden = death.

2-Yes

3-Yes

#3 is the win

Quite frankly I am to the point where I dont see a problem. If I am fighting someone 1v1, or close to even odds and they call an entire guild in elvine, I pretty much have no other option to log out. Recall pads just lead to you getting gang banged, by guards and summons. Safe zones are typically pretty far away, and as a warrior, if im constantly frozen with 8 guys on me there is no way I am getting away. I dont know why we are discussing changing logging before changing recall, logging you have 10 seconds to hit them, recall all it takes is 1 cast for you to officially have wasted your time. On the subject of pulling, it sux, and I have been trying to think of a reasonable solution for ages, simple fact is there is none.

Quite frankly I am to the point where I dont see a problem. If I am fighting someone 1v1, or close to even odds and they call an entire guild in elvine, I pretty much have no other option to log out. Recall pads just lead to you getting gang banged, by guards and summons. Safe zones are typically pretty far away, and as a warrior, if im constantly frozen with 8 guys on me there is no way I am getting away. I dont know why we are discussing changing logging before changing recall, logging you have 10 seconds to hit them, recall all it takes is 1 cast for you to officially have wasted your time. On the subject of pulling, it sux, and I have been trying to think of a reasonable solution for ages, simple fact is there is none.

Well... u know u cant recall at enemy town...

But i agree with u... recalling is worst than logging. But there r a lot of player that will disagree with us on this.

U say that u dont like to fight 7 vs 1... well my friend... u should look for another server, or another game. Cos it is Helbreath... and u r playing Nemesis... If u only want to fight 1 vs 1... then ask for pvp and dont go out... stay in ur city, dont log in on raid days.

Enemy town ill log if it happens. I shouldnt have 2 look for another server 2 find a fair fight... Oh and if you wanna say "well this is MMORPG" nowhere in there does it say that PvP is solely group, or solely 1v1. Just cuz its mass multiplayer in no way means that it is ok 2 bum rush people.

I like the first idea synz, but the down sides as several have posted is what about if you DC ?

ive been getting alot of really bad lag spikes lately and DC about once or twice an hour stupid ip.

So for this to work there needs to be a way to discern a player who gets DCed from a puller.

I dont know much about video game programming or programing in genral so maybe it is possible to discern the two.