Sign in to follow this  
JingGM

Low-level Spells

So I haven't really given this much thought lately, but it's been bothering me for a while.

There are PLENTY of spells that are just never used by mages, unless someone has an IE neck or something.

Spells like Bloody Shock Wave, Lightning Strike, Mass Ice Strike, Meteor Strike, those are the main ones I'm thinking of.

So, what are some suggestions you guys have to make those spells more useful? Not overpowered, just to make them as a viable option for mages and battlemages to use other than just mass spamming Blizzard all the time.

Here's a quote from a player in another topic here:

1. Lightning Strike: raise a little more damage, so that at least you can use it to kill zombies in 1hit(caz they survive energy strike most of time) This could apply to some other mid-int spells as well. Another idea is armor break stripping the armor, not just damaging the armor end. Lots of spells are just not used becaz they/re so useless.

What about Lightning strike having a really small chance of landing a 1-second paralyze? Meteor Strike having a chance at creating a lasting "Burning" effect on the person being hit, which does a little bit of damage over time?

Think up some crazy ideas for me, guys!

Note: These ideas may or may not actually be used in the game, I just want to get you guys thinking and having fun.

Note #2: No spam posts, or "KEEP HB NORMAL!" posts, please. This is about being creative, whether or not we'll actually use the ideas in the game.

Well, as being a low level enthusiast, I always loved lightning strike myself, the only issue with it is the damage on it is too low for the practical level of it, 123 is a lot of int for a mage if you want to have enough Mag to sufficiently level with it (instead of the only spells a mage needing is fire strike (break para) energy strike (leveling) blizzard (killing).

Lightning Strike - This used to be a top tier move back in the day (level 120 limit cap) as same with all of the other spells listed after, the reason why this spell has become useless is the mana/dmg ratio becoming useless and shit after the level was increased, when you have an extra 180 stats to throw around (60x3) that's a ton of extra stats.

Solution - Well, if you want to make this spell useable (for killing, or otherwise) Adding paralyse would be very practical, but unfortunately, way overpowered (or underpowered if you make a low %, then this spell is still shit and useless) Increase the damage AOE on this spell, and adding more damage, would make it usable for leveling up.

Meteor Strike - An easily improved spell, the purpose of the spell was to do good damage ( the old school powerhouse spell ), So, just increase the damage, and adding a DOT might be decent, but useless, UNLESS you make the fire damage actually physically apply (say it does 10 fire dmg per second) and instead of just doing DOT like Poison, make it physically hit them for -10, this will do a minor stun (like being hit while running) thus improving the effectiveness of this spell. Obliviously people will cry because you can potentially can stack this spell onto someone and just stun lock them, and well, just make it non-stackable, end of story.

Bloody Shock Wave - To be honest, I've never had the luck of getting my hands on this spell, but I like to use ideas that were good before, and can be used again, you can increase the mana cost of this spell (say to 150ish for the argument) and change it's damage to blizzard style (but not freezing, but the same damage, with a lower int cost... similar to ESW, just lower int.) The only issue that would come with this, is people that have it will cry about losing it, or w/e... AND ANOTHER ISSUE WOULD BE TO REMEMBER TO ADD ANOTHER BSW SPELL SO DEMONS DON'T RAPE YOUR FACE!!!.

Mass Fire Strike - Just make it exactly like the Meteor Strike as mentioned above, it's basically a low int MS. But i don't think that it pieces PFM like MS does, so add that too.

Mass Ice Strike - Another spell similar to Lightning strike, oddly enough it costs more INT and less Gold (that still confuses me). You can fix this in the same ways similar to LTN strike (incrase the damage and AOE for it, but another idea that might also help, is increase the cold duration.

That's pretty much my opinion on ways to actually physically make the spells usable again, but I still think you should remove the STAT cap from 200, and put it at 300... 1: It removes god characters from pvp (a 300 mag mage will be severally gimped in the VIT area, so it will balance out...And it will make a DEX class usable maybe? granted the Low str Weapons will have to be revamped for this to effectively work though).

easy solution would make 1- spell for each element a circle 10 spell

have it do = dmg. to blizz and cost = mana

let the spells area of affect stay the same.

this would leave room for more spells in pvp and make efreet and light pro necklaces actually

have value, i would love to be able to fight w/ more than just blizz.

I would LOVE to see some of the lower order spells revamped. Im a avid fan of EWS, one of the most underrated spells in this game. Another spell which needs to be looked at is Lightning Strike. For the mana cost it has over Energy Strike, you would expect it deal a bit more damage... not the 5 or so it does now.

In HB Nemesis 1 I had an idea I put forward in the Spell Conest (which I won). It was for a Air Element spell better than Lightning Strike, but it also had an effect when casted in the rain

We currently have a weapon that hits extra in day or night, how about a spell which deals more damage when its raining? Think about it, when its raining, the ground is wet, your armor is wet so it would conduct electricty better. When its raining, have Lightning Strike do a certain %% extra damage.

My idea also consisted of limits. It could not be cast in Druncian City due to it being completely underwater.

My idea does stray from the original HB coding, but its an interesting way to up the damage on Lightning Strike.

I would LOVE to see some of the lower order spells revamped. Im a avid fan of EWS, one of the most underrated spells in this game. Another spell which needs to be looked at is Lightning Strike. For the mana cost it has over Energy Strike, you would expect it deal a bit more damage... not the 5 or so it does now.

In HB Nemesis 1 I had an idea I put forward in the Spell Conest (which I won). It was for a Air Element spell better than Lightning Strike, but it also had an effect when casted in the rain

We currently have a weapon that hits extra in day or night, how about a spell which deals more damage when its raining? Think about it, when its raining, the ground is wet, your armor is wet so it would conduct electricty better. When its raining, have Lightning Strike do a certain %% extra damage.

My idea also consisted of limits. It could not be cast in Druncian City due to it being completely underwater.

My idea does stray from the original HB coding, but its an interesting way to up the damage on Lightning Strike.

I LIKE IT!

I'm pretty sure Mass Fire Strike does pierce PFM, no? Also, I remember hearing something a while ago that if you get a direct shot with it, it does more damage, but I'm not sure about that.

Those are some interesting ideas, and the two I put in my first post are just things to get you thinking. Feel free to ignore/improve on them however you want.

lol alright I'll throw some ideas out there.

Lightning Strike: 15% more damage and a chance for a 2-second MIM effect against players.

Mass Ice Strike: 20% more damage and .5 seconds more freeze.

Mass Fire Strike: Make it a little less damage than Meteor Strike, except make it always hit 2 times as if it were a direct hit.

Blood Shock Wave: Make it always hit 3-4 times.

Meteor Strike: Make it do 75% damage through pfm and ignore half of the person's MA set.

GARBAGE IDEAS PROBABLY. :(

Sorry, I feel the mages are powered quite nicely here and probably OVERLY so!

When the BBH can hit as hard as it is supposed to for a dk15 200 str warr, then we can chat about the mages!

' date='Feb 17 2009, 04:12 PM' post='253462']

When the BBH can hit as hard as it is supposed to for a dk15 200 str warr, then we can chat about the mages!

Hunter, we are not talking about buffing mages

we are talking about making some of the mage spells more useful in which they can be used in the event of pvp/pve , rather than just sitting there and using blizzard all the time.

' date='Feb 17 2009, 04:12 PM' post='253462']

im not thinking make mages stronger, im saying give them more options on spells to use

same as i feel Baxe and GiS dmg. needs to increase

all mages use blizz to fight

all wars use BBH statted BH or Dk+15 sword.

lets get some more variety to the game, by making other spells hit harder and cost

more mana it will make wars. choose ice elem. or a diff. type of diff neck.

Lightning Strike: 15% more damage and a chance for a 2-second MIM effect against players.

LOL

crazy?

Meteor Strike: Make it do 75% damage through pfm and ignore half of the person's MA set.

its already almost impossible to kill mage in pvp with war. Your ideas are hilarious

To Hunter:

Deminish and timma are correct, this isn't about making mages more powerful, just trying to think of ways to make more options available to mages.

Why doesn't someone make a topic about Low-level Weapons as well? It would definitely be nice to see more variety in warriors as well as mages.

Iam thinking about metro strike,

maybe make it para the person for 2 seconds, this affect can only occure once every 7 seconds =P

beside.. mages are not overpower.. think about it

mage vs war..

war can pfm all the times and nuke the mage... a good idea is to take pfm away and Nerf blizzard :) :ph34r:

i mean war vs mage.. and was keeps pfm .. mages cant do anything but run cuz their blizz will do -34 to -100 dmgs..

Or what we can do is make lighting strike ignore pfm and eat ur mana, that way mages can LS war untill they dont have enough mana to pfm then they can blizz :D

LOL

crazy?

its already almost impossible to kill mage in pvp with war. Your ideas are hilarious

Exactly, you can't compare ANYTHING to blizzard besides the RARE drop spell that is ESW.

I'll point out exactly what the makers of this game screwed up:

1. DK armors. Mages have comparable defense to warriors now, with 30000 endurance. Brilliant.

2. Blizzard, one of the strongest magic spells in the game, is available in the magic shop for everyone to use! Long freeze duration, chance to hit 4-5 times, and does a ton of damage??? BRILLIANT.

3. The global vitality system. Mages get the same health gains from the vit stat. Hoorah! Super strong eking class with more hp than the people who melee! Good one guyz!

This game was MADE broken.

To Hunter:

Deminish and timma are correct, this isn't about making mages more powerful, just trying to think of ways to make more options available to mages.

Why doesn't someone make a topic about Low-level Weapons as well? It would definitely be nice to see more variety in warriors as well as mages.

Yeah I would love to see variations in this game. I know thats what I aimed at when I made a GiS warrior. Everyone who asked what Strength I was laughed. Now look, every PL raider is trying to get their hands on a GiS. Its still not a viable class when DK armor comes into it (If I didnt have the rings and necks I do I would be screwed) but atleast people are steering away from the generic BBH builds.

Baxers, Baxe is one of the coolest looking weapons in game. Shame that they are about as usefull as a rusty dagger.

Same goes for the magic system. I recently made a EWS Pl Raider. Nothing but laughs.

Lets face it though, theres never going to be any spell used over Blizz, and there isnt going to be any other weapon used other than BBH.

I know what you meant, Wuta, I just dont believe that 99% of the mages will ever use any other spell besides blizz. Even if we gave it more this or that, tweaked a bit and upgraded...

they will still click click click

You know, I was thinking one day...why isn't the strongest spell a fire spell?

If I was a dev of this game I would've made these spells instead:

Comet: Exactly the same thing as meteor strike, except it's an ice spell! Decent damage and it freezes!

Firestorm: Exactly the same thing as blizzard, except it's a fire spell! High damage, no freeze!

Then take out blizzard and meteor strike. Makes way more sense in my opinion.

The spell blizzard is like having your cake and eating it too.

what IFFFFF....

each cast of blizz cost 300 mana AND reduced the caster's vit by HALF!

yeee hawwww! Now that'd be a NICE spell tweak!

' date='Feb 17 2009, 07:30 PM' post='253550']

what IFFFFF....

each cast of blizz cost 300 mana AND reduced the caster's vit by HALF!

yeee hawwww! Now that'd be a NICE spell tweak!

and their fps is locked at 75. don't forget that part.

interesting suggestions everyone. i would like to point out a few things:

PLAYER SKILLS PEOPLE. that is a very big factor in deciding what needs to be beefed or nerfed. i think many people say things suck or are unbalanced because it requires a little work from them to make it work. for instance:

with a pfm war, 50 mag, i never fear any mages. just time my pfm right, and then it is only a matter of time before the mage is down. some like to waste their blizz while im pfm, but w/e, it is only slight annoyance ^_^

when im a mage, i think that tactics are a little more hit and run :ph34r: . i usually start off with pfa, then blizz and para. the biggest thing here is patience also, shield after you cast, dont start to cast if he is gonna catch up to you and hit you because you cant afford to waste hp.

for any class, you have to be persistent, dog the ek. i see so many people attack in pl, they dont kill them right away, so they invis and run. nothing wrong with the system, you are just lazy. i also see people who fight for the ek, only to have the person pull. something needs to be done about that.

now onto low level spells:

the cool thing about beefing up low level spells would be that battlemages would be more common and even warriors would be able to mix up their stats since certain low spells could do enough dmg to make them pvp worthy.

bad thing is, when a mage runs outta mana for blizz, he is gonna start spamming the other weaker but still dangerous spells to finish you off. that means mages are stronger than before.

maybe if spells were beefed up, people with 195 int, 200 mag should have some sort of lower defence or their dk armour should not be as strong or something. i will admit it is annoying that someone with 50dex, and a tower shield can make half my crits miss, and the others go -5, -5 ,-10.

not everyone has a full hero set :angry:

or, you could lower the level limit to 140 to make everyone have more extreme stats. that shit would be so much fun :D

also, i think making the fencing class more useful as well as baxe class more useful could make pvp more interesting.

EDIT: Oh, and fix meteor strike. that spell should do a good bit more damage. i miss the good ole days of meteor strike mages. 169 int means u have some extra points for other shit :)

i too think Pure mages r a bit overpowered or a higher chance of beating a vitty war in a duel

What i have to say is maybe we can put a fire effect...

Think about it.... Fire Field and fire wall is pretty good

but we can maybe add a *censored*e to the new element (Fire)

This effect will lower your hp 1-4 during an amount of 15 secs =)

I hope you guys like it :D

i too think Pure mages r a bit overpowered or a higher chance of beating a vitty war in a duel

that would be nice, but it would be more helpful for wars if firebow had a chance of adding burn dmg. this way a mage would have to pfa themselves every now and then, meaning they are left open for para.

that would be nice, but it would be more helpful for wars if firebow had a chance of adding burn dmg. this way a mage would have to pfa themselves every now and then, meaning they are left open for para.

none of the bows need any more damage then they already deal, they're not intended for mowing down people, they're ment to aid in hunting (fire bow should be removed imo, or at least fixed, it's so stupid seeing somone para, then pull out bow and shoot the war next to them and then have para broken, that is just bullshit) the reason bows don't do siginificant pvp damage is this; if 5 warriors had bows, and could hit 50's-70's with crits, they will rape mages all day, full screen attack... can't cast.. .game over.

pfa is there for a reason...but this is about low level spells...i believe that they are right where they should be