Sign in to follow this  
evocator

Killzone

Implement a "killzone" where the server records kills and "streaks" of an individual player when he gains EKs.

It goes something like this:

Every week the server/ GameMaster will set a "killzone," perhaps a 40 by 40 area on a random map. Could be Middlelands, Dungeon Level 3 or any common area that both towns can enter.

Within this "killzone" the server will record who kills who as well as who dies and displays them on a page on the Nemesis homepage. (Perhaps a new section 'Killzone EKs' which displays the "streaks" as well as the current location of the "killzone" [eg. Middlelands 403,500 443,540])

The advantage is this area will have increased PVP (players will want to fight in this area) and get their names on the leaderboard.

Leaderboard will have the following columns (Illustrated example):

CHARACTER NAME      KILL STREAK      STREAK STARTED      STREAK ENDED BY      DAYS ON TOP
Vivienne (ELVINE)        23            25-June-2010       Where (ARESDEN)           5
Bltch (ELVINE)           100           25-May-2010         Helclaw (NPC)           32
cor3a (ARESDEN)          57            25-May-2010          Idle (AUTO)            27

The table is interpreted as follows:

Player Vivienne has 23 EKs within the designated "killzone" starting on 25-June-2010 and died on 30-June-2010 to Player Where, thus ending her "streak."

The parentheses behind "STREAK ENDED BY" refers to town/type who ends the streak.

ARESDEN: ended by aresden citizen

ELVINE: ended by elvine citizen

NPC: ended by monsters

AUTO: ended by 7 days 0 ek for streaker within killzone

This will also give way to a lot of new event ideas, for example, first to a 30 day kill streak, first to a 60 day kill streak as well as bounty hunter events which require players to kill the top "streaker" within the "killzone."

Perhaps on the homepage even a "Top Bounty Hunters" list??! The ideas are limitless and will increased PVP by a lot within the killzone.

To encourage people to play within the killzone, prizes can be given out to top "streaker" -- eg. MP/HP items to the first "streaker" to hold the title for 30 days etc.

Personal thoughts:

Logically speaking, it shouldn't be that hard to implement this, the killzone can be designated manually by a GM and a C-program can be used to scan the EK logs (location) and player name. It then takes the player name and compares with the deaths within the area and determines the streak. This is based on my own judgement -- I've never seen the logs before -- so please forgive me if I'm wrong.

The C-program could be very intensive due to the size of the logs so maybe it should be programmed to run only once a day at the strike of midnight server time... For that, the page on Nemesis homepage will only be updated once daily.

Edited by evocator

wonderfull idea,

i once suggsted something similar, but just doing it as a weekly hero or something like that, displaying similar to what you said,

the killzon is great idea too

ps: viv and bltch ftw

xD

I like your Idea! but I think it is a lot of coding and for now the staff is working in a big update, I dont think they have time for this (for now)

I like your Idea! but I think it is a lot of coding and for now the staff is working in a big update, I dont think they have time for this (for now)

actually if i could have an example of how the ek logs are presented, i could write a program that will automatically take out and sort the list, shouldn't take more than a day or two considering it's just reading a text file (i'm assuming here)

edit: i saw a post by white[gm] in the screenshot area

2010:06:12:11:43:04 EKSQL Millie 180 190.50.27.88 Killed by elvine 203 165 pititoQUE 180 190.50.27.88 93 - 94 ! SAME IP !

that's what he typed, i'm assuming that the ek logs look something like that...

so clearly the char names, location and time of kill are possible to be looked up...

a program can be written to read time from 00;00 to 23;59 of a specific date (remember: scan logs once a day to update site; more complicated = full update on the spot = multi scan of the logs = lag? idk)

char names etc could easily be sorted in an array no need for complicated stuff i guess.

the hard part would be the changing killzone weekly -- maybe make monthly?

wonderfull idea,

i once suggsted something similar, but just doing it as a weekly hero or something like that, displaying similar to what you said,

the killzon is great idea too

ps: viv and bltch ftw

xD

weekly hero isn't different from the current list which is already on the website, it resets every week and thus the "streak" is lost.

also, the killzone will centralize pvp without making too much of an imbalance on different maps. people who want to pvp will head to the killzone or those just looking to extend their "streak" will go too.

thus when times with little players online, older players will know where to check first.

ps: kloness and ms30 in pl again? hahaha

Edited by evocator

Where are you thinking, ML? D2?

If we did this, I wouldn't mind it being in ML, maybe around ToH Isle?

i would say the isle oposite side from ib,

so there sno safes

Random places decided by a GM/ algorithm every week.

These killzones are not going to be on an "empty plot of land" every week. Some week it could be right smack in the middle of a pit, for example, Aresden WW pit.

This gives the killzone some difficulty as people can die to NPCs and NPCs can end their "streaks" too.

Heck, we could even have a week where the killzone is in TOH3 DE Pit, how hard will that be?

Forgot to add: if the "top streaker" doesn't get a kill within 7 days, his streak will be ended automatically.

Updated the first post!

well, everyday i see people complaining about recalls, this means lots of players here gets very concerned about dieing when they lose nothing, so when he will lose something (his streak) odds he will recall when outnumbered is bigger, and maybe the person on top will be a guy who walks with recall scroll at bag, and get some lucky kills with blizz on lized ppl, so i dont really like it

How about making a simple portal (in CH or somewhere) to some sort of arena map?

Thought of this before, but it'll totally destroy PVP in ML etc.

My idea is such that maps will be utilized fully.