Sign in to follow this  
Rabbi

Technical Problems

This is a really weird problem. If I start my pc and then launch HB before anything else, the game works fine and I have 300+ fps even with some action going on, and even more with angels on screen.

However, if I decide to for example start Firefox and Winamp and Messenger or whatever program BEFORE HB, and then launch HB when other stuff is running the game is incredibly choppy. My FPS then starts to jump up and down from 500+ to almost 0 totally randomly.

Now, even if I close all background processes/programs and only have HB running it doesn't help at all. I have to reboot PC and then launch HB before anything else and then it works with no problems.

I can use many programs at the same time and it doesn't affect HB at all IF I HAVE LAUNCHED HB FIRST.

So, what the heck is this?? I have never experienced anything like this and would like some help!

Also recently I'm getting DC alot. Is it just me or is the server having some problems?

' date='May 28 2010, 05:31 PM' post='320942']

server is fine, Rabbi

sounds like a problem on your end

Yeah thought so.

Any idea what might be causing the fps drop?

It's a lack of swapping memory, RAM or Video Memory.

Can't be lack of memory with Nvidia GeforeGT240M 1GB + 4GB system ram with 64bit OS :( Also this laptop is only 8 months old so I don't believe it has anything with my memory being broken yet. Also this problem is ONLY WITH HB and under the circumstances I explained.

I think it has nothing to do with memory but some background process instead. I wish I knew what that process is...

exactly what windows u running?

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

I have HB set to run in compability mode for win98/me and have disable graphics accelerators. Also running HB as system admin.

rabbi is very active here :D

Is that good or bad? :D

is your hardware ok? have u tried cleaning it? sometimes dust makes your computer work crazy... my old pc stopped starting because of it O_o

Farjat is 'passive'.

remove the compability mode for win98/me.

Disable Vertical Sync, set your Video Card to high performance.

Are you sure your fps doesnt drop when an Angel is on your Screen?

If not, then you might be infected...

Farjat is 'passive'.

remove the compability mode for win98/me.

Disable Vertical Sync, set your Video Card to high performance.

Are you sure your fps doesnt drop when an Angel is on your Screen?

If not, then you might be infected...

I have disabled vertical sync and set card to high performance. Also the compability mode is recommended by many.

When I have angel on screen I get a huge fps boost for some reason, it goes from 300+ to 500+ and when idle I can hit 800fps :o

I'm very confident I don't have any viruses. And I think my explanation of the problem shows that it's not about a virus.

When I start PC and start HB FIRST and then other stuff, all works fine

When I start PC and OTHER STUFF first and then HB, HB gets choppy.

I have also ran all possible virus/malware tests and keep my pc clean and up to date.

I'm sure it's some background process that belongs to some legit program I have.

I made an interesting find. Last night I was wondering why the heck is my Firefox so damn slow. Well, I checked it's memory usage and it was using a whopping 700MB of ram with only 3-4 tabs open!! I tried updating all my addons and plug-ins but nothing worked, it remained a huge memory hog.

Anyways, I have now moved to back to google Chrome and to my surprise my problem with Helbreath choppyness is gone! Or at least I haven't experienced it again after switching to chrome.

It might or might not have anything to do with chrome/firefox but looking good so far :)

It's a lack of swapping memory, RAM or Video Memory.

Can't be lack of memory with Nvidia GeforeGT240M 1GB + 4GB system ram with 64bit OS :( Also this laptop is only 8 months old so I don't believe it has anything with my memory being broken yet. Also this problem is ONLY WITH HB and under the circumstances I explained.

I think it has nothing to do with memory but some background process instead. I wish I knew what that process is...

ok, your RAM and Video Memoery is good.

try to adjust your swapping memory, mine is set to 10 GB as a max.

Here is a SS on how to do it:

IPB Image

1. Go the the properties of "my computer"

2. Go to the tab "Advanced"

3. Click at the "Prestation" section on the button "Setup" or something simeliar.

4. Go to the tab "Advanced"

5. Click the button "Change" or "Adjust" or something simeliar.

6. Adjust the values as desired, multiples of 1024 work best, mine is set min 2 GB, max 10 GB. (Upper field = min, lower field = max)

7. Don't forget to click "apply" or "adjust" or something simeliar, just presson "ok" will NOT change the values to be used !!

8. Click ok on all the buttons of the 3 opened up screens.

9. Possibly need to reboot your computer to apply the adjusted values, best is to reboot anyway to ensure it's applied. After the reboot check again if the values still are there (if not, you forgot step 7).

10. Enjoy happy helbreath with increased swapping memory ^_^

Some notes:

I got 4 hard drives as you can see, first one is windows OS, second is a protected section extreemly watched by my anti-virus as my downloads go in there, third is my data drive where I put my games and other important files, and fourth is my back-up external HDD.

Best is to apply the increase ONLY to the disk of your OS !