Sign in to follow this  
toneeh

[Not A Bug] Do We Have To Validate Game Everytime We Play?

Yes it is required to validate the game files every time you start playing.

I am looking into a method to speed up this process of validation and have a new theoretical algorithm developed to test this. The first tests on it have shown a huge increment in speed, now it's a matter of fine-tuning the algorithm and making sure it is working as desired.

I expect it to be ready by the weekend.

I am looking into a method to speed up this process of validation and have a new theoretical algorithm developed to test this. The first tests on it have shown a huge increment in speed, now it's a matter of fine-tuning the algorithm and making sure it is working as desired.

Is it ok to just validate the files that people will abuse? E.g. walking sounds/paks etc...

Is it ok to just validate the files that people will abuse? E.g. walking sounds/paks etc...

Not it is no, people tend to edit many paks or sounds. For example if we would only check let's say walking + running sound, people will edit or delete all others, so only those 2 sounds remain... so they once again gain an advantage over others.

For paks we'd have to check all, since we don't want people replacing big mobs by small mobs so they can hit ppl behind the big mobs (e.g. mana stone, arrow/cannon rowers, ettins, tws, etc etc...), neither do we want people to modify their tiles to make a grid or black/white coloring of them. Adding "just" those mobs + tiles to validation is already the majority of the pak files.

Same goes for maps, if they can't edit paks, they'll edit maps and remove objects so they can look behind them and find people easier. So we don't want people to be going around doing that either.

Last one is contents, we don't like people manipulating their shops to attempt and find an item we forgot to disable selling, or don't like them messing on the magic spell names.

So to prevent all this kind of trickery, we need to validate about 90% of the files, so I've taken it the easy way and just validate all files used by the game as this additional 10% of files (background music, quest translations, etc...) doesn't take much more time or effort to validate.

But as I mentioned earlier, I'm still going over this new algorithm that'll allow validating any file much faster. It'll literally validate about 850 files in less than 2 seconds.

its going slower to me since the helgame.exe starts to when i can log in... "loading data" appears before i can log in ;not sure if it has something to do with the new updates :/

no great changes on the validation, it was fast to me before too.