Sign in to follow this  
BroThers

Vista Problems

Any1 know fix fps with windows vista ????

my fps very sucks with windows vista 78 - 90 , with windows xp 300 - 350 , any1 know fix this bug !

thx guys , waiting for help =)

Don't bump your topics in the General forum.

And yes, we know that playing Helbreath on Vista is not good. Helbreath is a very old game and Vista uses the brand new DirectX 10. Helbreath is build with DirectX 7 (and uses the ancient old DirectDraw) so it's probably slower because Vista is emulating all kinds of things.

I might be able to change HB to DX9 with Direct3D, but it's a time consuming task. Maybe in the christmas vacation ^^

no, DX9 doesn't slow it down.

It's vista that has a problem on the angels (due to bad korean coding?) which slows them down, decreasing the hardware acelleration would fix it, but vista disables this ability which makes it un-fixable unless you run virtual machines etc

It's a bit hard to explain without getting into too much technical details. But I'll give it a go anyway:

On XP, you have DirectX 9.0c currently. DirectX 9.0c is backwards compatible with DirectX 8, DirectX 7... etc. Because DirectX 9.0c is just a newer version with added stuff and a few improvements. So, even though Helbreath uses DirectX 7, it doesn't need to emulate anything in DirectX 9... it is directly compatible and thus there are no slowdowns.

In Vista, you have DirectX 10. This is a completely NEW version of DirectX made from scratch by Microsoft. Of course, all previously written games for earlier versions are not compatible with DirectX 10. To prevent people from rewriting their games they've added DirectX 9 emulation. So it's now possible to use games written for XP on Vista.

But! I doubt Microsoft added very efficient support for DirectX 7 (DirectDraw). I suspect that is poorly emulated in Vista and this is why HB runs slower on Vista.

To fix this, we need to change Helbreath to use DirectX 9.0c with Direct3D. This is emulated nicely in Vista and will probably not be slower or insignificantly. Else you have noticed with other games already.

I can also support both DX9 and DX10. But like I said, this will cost me some time to change as Helbreath code is like spaghetti...

jaapy, remember, i'm here too, my skills might not be as awesome as yours, but I could give you a hand if you like, DX stuffz sound interesting to me.

jaapy, remember, i'm here too, my skills might not be as awesome as yours, but I could give you a hand if you like, DX stuffz sound interesting to me.

OK, but we will continue talking about this in Staff forum. This implementation is a bit offtopic since the OP just asked about why it is slow in Vista. Don't steal the topic hehe :P

no offence but you all should installl windows in a dual boot mode

asking jappy to do this is too much

I mean, theres already a solution ( dual boot)