Sign in to follow this  
MrBader

Solving The Vista Frames Problem With Dual Boot

Solving the Vista Frames Problem With Dual Boot

There may be other easier ways of doing this but here is a tutorial of how I did it.

It involves creating a partition with another operating system for dual boot.

You will need another operating system to install, I used Xp.

Here it goes.

*** Read all steps before beginning.

1. Create your partition. This can be easily done by searching help in VIsta for "create partition" follow the steps to creating a new drive. When you format it use NTFS Quick. I allowed for secondary drive of 8gig. When you name the drive I would suggest using a letter higher in the alphabet to not interfere with other drives xp and vista use.

2. Download Drivers in advance. Your computer manufacturer should supply on their website most the drtivers you will need. This is where I had my problems because when you install xp you will have none of the drivers meant for your computer and will not be able to access vista right away. Meaning no internet and no way to download the drivers you need. You can save them on your main drive and once xp is installed you will be able to access it from xp. ** Be sure to get the drivers meant for your computer to run Xp dont just download the vista drivers again. *When you download the drivers be sure to save to disk not run.

3. Install Windows Xp or whatever. Be sure to install on your new drive. It will ask to format it again, again use NTFS Quick.

4. Install your drivers. Install whatever drivers you were able to find **Don't know if it matters but when installing and it asks where to save be sure to change the drive letter from c: to whatever your new drive letter is.. Once you have finished restart. At this point you should only be able to boot Xp it's okay we will fix that. Go into your device manager and right click on any devices still yellow and with internet now working again you should be able to update them through the internet. **Note the only way I was able to get my wireless working again was to update this way so you may have to do any downloading wired to your modem/router.

5. Once you have all your drivers downloaded and xp is working you need to get back to Vista. To do this download ".net framework" it can be found by searching on google or whatever you use. Once this is downloaded and installed you need to again search for "easy bcd" then download and install it.

6. Open Easy Bcd and under the Add/Remove tab you should see just windows vista listed so near the bottom under add an entry *First choose the drive letter, whatever you picked earlier, then select version "Windows NT/2k/XP/2k3" then name it pretty much whatever you want except windows vista. Then click save or add whatever the button is.

7. Next click "Manage Bootloader" and then click "Write MBR"

8. After all this you should be done restart the computer again and you should now be able to boot into xp or vista. Boot Vista then restart and boot xp again to make sure everything is working properly.

9. Tweak your settings. Right click on desktop and go to settings tab. CLick advanced then go to the troubleshoot tab and move hardware acceleration down to none.

10. Either download Nemesis to your new drive or simply copy and paste from your c: drive

**Note just beacuse your running xp now doesnt mean HB will automatically be faster after following these steps. There are entire posts on that subject on how to tweak your settings if you do not see a drastic change especially with angels on the screen.

Keep in mind I am by no means a computer programmer or it technician or anything. Everything I learned was by trial and error. So if anyone has any more technical advice be my guest to add it.