Sign in to follow this  
locke

Hb Comunity Development

I know what the answer to this probably will be but... I think it would be a good idea to open the source code to the community so that everyone with some experience in software development can contribute to the new features and success of the server.

You could use a scheme similar to GitHub (or just GitHub directly) where everyone can fork the repository, make their changes and then send a pull request to the main dev (White in this case I guess) so that he can review the changes and decide whether to include them or not.

I'm sure there's a good number of developers out there that could contribute and wouldn't mind doing that as a pet project on their free time (I know I would do it). I think this would not only make it faster to develop new features but it would also create a sense of ownership on those who contribute. That is, if you help creating something then you are more likely to really want that "something" to succeed, either by making it better or promoting it to others.

I can see that a potential problem against doing this would be that you would then have to worry about someone taking the code and starting a new server with it. But to be honest, there are not so many servers out there anymore and HB is slowly dying. I highly doubt that someone would take this idea to get any personal benefit from it other than helping the community.

Grab any 3.72 source and you're close to what Nemesis has today except for the character saving which is mssql and all new features.

So if you wish to contribute code, make and test yours in a 3.72 and post it here, should be easy to copy-paste if what you make fits within Nemesis ofcourse.

At nemesis we do have a public coding section (http://www.helbreathnemesis.com/forum/index.php?showforum=303) where people can ask questions related to HB coding... So if you want to contribute in code and have questions related to some stuff, can always ask them there, i'll gladly answer them.

Even if you wish to extend parts of the new features/code of nemesis and have a question on how it's structured, i'll try and reply those as well ^_^

I know what the answer to this probably will be but... I think it would be a good idea to open the source code to the community so that everyone with some experience in software development can contribute to the new features and success of the server.

You could use a scheme similar to GitHub (or just GitHub directly) where everyone can fork the repository, make their changes and then send a pull request to the main dev (White in this case I guess) so that he can review the changes and decide whether to include them or not.

I'm sure there's a good number of developers out there that could contribute and wouldn't mind doing that as a pet project on their free time (I know I would do it). I think this would not only make it faster to develop new features but it would also create a sense of ownership on those who contribute. That is, if you help creating something then you are more likely to really want that "something" to succeed, either by making it better or promoting it to others.

I can see that a potential problem against doing this would be that you would then have to worry about someone taking the code and starting a new server with it. But to be honest, there are not so many servers out there anymore and HB is slowly dying. I highly doubt that someone would take this idea to get any personal benefit from it other than helping the community.

Nemesis source will not be open. and this is why.

people got source from 15 years ago. But all they do is adding shit and unlimited crits and Super powa Hero fruity stuff.

They added stupid things but NOONE never focused on make them stable and for long time.

We always focused on stability and real gameplay. it took us years. We made all the bored part.

We always prefered to keep focus on stability more than adding shits to get high population.

We always suffer low population because we never pointed to fruity.

A lot of people is maybe skilled to code. But they are not clever and responsable enoff to keep it throught years.

A lot of people is maybe skilled to code. But they are not clever and responsable enoff to keep it throught years.

True, it took me like 2 years to earn the trust to access the source code... ever since I've been working on it... which is at this point for 4 years xD... so I've been around nemesis for the past 6 years doing code snippets at first and fully blown coding since year 2 that I joined :)