Sign in to follow this  
WhiteFang

Halloween Npcs: Your Thoughts?

Halloween Npcs: Your thoughts?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the new ranks (Veteran, Elite, Captain, Champion, Legendary)

• They're ok and fit fine for Halloween but wouldn't really fit outside of it.
    • They're ok and with some adjustments can make the outside world interesting
    • They're not so good, they don't really fit in and bring no addition to the game
    • Other
  2. 2. What do you think about the coloring?

• Colors are fine, it sets them apart from the normal mobs
    • Colors are fine for the Halloween theme but wouldn't fit outside there
    • Colors don't look so good on them, it doesn't make them feel natural.
    • Other

I'd like to know the communities opinion on this.

Personally I feel like the ranking could bring some new twist to helbreath and give parties and guilds a challenge if the ranks are properly implemented.

As they currently spawn randomly for Halloween, they don't really have any relation to each other and are easy targets to pick on when roaming alone.

Making them act in groups where a champion could be commanding a couple of captains who on their own command elites who have veterans supporting them surrounded with normal mobs. This would make a "pack" of enemies who act together as a group, assisting and aiding each other to kill the player.

The other question is about Colors, I feel that the coloring breaks them out of the environment and doesn't really make the mobs fit in with the others. But without coloring, only their name would give away what they are and how strong they would be. This would make it much harder to spot them, and that could take a lot of people by surprise.

I think they fit for the Halloween theme, but outside of it I don't really think they'd fit in the outer world. So another way of setting them apart would be great, but I got no idea on this. If you do, let me know ;)

pretty funny if one catches you by surprise being more powerful than you expected.

you could always scan before you attack to see ;]

Don't really need scan, hovering the mouse over is just fine to know it though (by its name)

I think it would be interesting for these mobs to randomly spawn in ml, dv, garden ect. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to introduce them into pits because people already ignore AP (think ogre/ww pits) until the pit is full of nothing but AP mobs and nobody wants to go in and clean it out. Something similar could happen with elite mobs with 2-3x hp. Although the increased drop rate may motivate people to kill these enough that it wouldn't be a big problem.

Hmm ok IMO it adds an interesting twist to the quest in that now we have to kill more mobs for a chance of a veteran elite or legend to spawn so it definitely encourages hunting. At the same time it takes so much longer to accomplish the same task lol...took me like three times the time to complete bh quest because legends just don't spawn often lol

I don't think a "group of monsters" will work out since people will just figure out a way to kill them one by one.

I suggest instead of a group, make such that (for example) a legendary NPC will die and maybe 10-20 of the following rank will spawn in its place randomly (maybe over a 5x5 - 7x7) area. It will effectively "box" a huge group of players and since it's randomly, there'll be more variations and much more challenging. Obviously the number from 10-20 should reflect the challenge, if it were me, I'd spawn 50-70 magic orcs after a batch of legendary DEs just for the challenge. ;D

@fyw721: The twist to it was intended, it was originally Jing who came up with the idea of embedding the specific rank killing in the quest system. So I took 5 minutes of time to add it and design the story around it ;)

@evocator: It depends, if the group AI is designed properly that you can't really pick-off a single mob as in lure it away and slaughter it, you should get a nice challenge then. Althought I'd make it so you would be able to pick-off the lower ranks more easily as their chance to successfully call for backup from their group would be low. While picking off a Captain from its master champion would be a whole lot harder to get that done.

Having the group work as one-big-monster would make it fairly difficult to overcome the challenge. Add in a mixture of mobs acting as a group and you'll need a specific approach to get the job done.

Your boxing idea sounds fun, but would in certain cases make it too hard or too easy. Not knowing what will come is better in a summon-event styled sort of challenge/event that would rather take place on a separated map where you'd compete vs other groups to get up to the highest wave of monsters.

The kind of challenge I like to bring with this ranked mobs is a challenge for example where you'd find a warrior in ML who talks about a big bad ettin who stole his sword... you'd be challenged to go up the mountains and find the evil ettin creature. Once you arrive there you find that it's a Champion Ettin surrounded by numerous other Captain/Elite/Veteran/Normal creatures which pose a threat to go in alone, but could be completed when you get some backup. You'd go get your friends or guildies who tag along and get the quest as well, you'd setup your approach to get the challenge done and finally slaughter that evil Champion Ettin who'll drop you the quest item. You'd take it along and bring it back to the warrior, he'll thank you and reward you for your bravery.

That is the kind of thing I have in mind regarding ranked npcs and making them act as a group.

I think it would be great to add them into pit spawns, it would implement a huge benefit for players that hunt in groups. Currently if you're hunting solo you can sit in a pit all day an just hoard any drops. If you start getting a pit full of legendary ww, unless you take the time to pull them out 1x1 and slowly kill then all, you're better off with a group mowing them all down. And bonus drop is always a fun thing.

Legendary Wyvs anyone? Haha

I think we should start adding them with events and maybe then in special pits .

These new NPCs are way better than I pictured before. I'm finding Halloween map really entertaining and refreshing

I hate those beholders . I learned legendary power in the bad way :(

(Map also throws MIM near that pit)

Elite Mage spawned in ML last night, too.

I love it. I think the colors could use some adjusting, but overall the tiered mobs work well and I'd love to see some cool NPC quests like you mentioned. Make the EXP and drop rate scale accordingly and you've got yet another great idea that sets Nem apart from the rest of the trash servers, including official at this point..

The "official" server is one of the more fruity servers nowadays. It's rediculous really. I would love to see the new monsters ingame. It would help take the boredom that comes after that first hour in the pit killing the same easy mobs over n over again