Sign in to follow this  
Xolotl

Bombs & Caltrops.

Just thought this could be really fun to play with. Some ability, most likely a spell I guess, that turns the target into a timed explosion.

Cast spell, target your desired carrier, they go boom. Could have it go off by timer or by 'steps taken'. Lethal damage done to the bomb-carrier and grievous damage to anyone in close proximity to the carrier at the time of the explosion. Safemode has no affect on it? Could make it so that a condition could be met for cancelling the bomb; killing the caster, killing the carrier, killing both. Or it can be inevitable so that the bomb's timer will go off even when the target becomes a corpse, adding to the potential of using it for kamikaze play. If you give detonation control to the caster or carrier, adding some build-up damage might be fun, the longer you let the timer run or the more steps you travel while carrying the bomb, the more damage is released or have it the other way around where release damage is weakened or nulled with more counts on timer/steps-taken.

Reading about toons being almost immortal made me think instead of having so much defense on armor there could be more offensive abilities that have strong defensive application.

A spell that plants obscure bombs on the ground that go off by timer or by being stepped on, I remember seeing this on an older server that used it from a consumable item. Despite the limited bombs that could be active at a time, it seemed too cheap in gameplay. If I remember right, the bomb applied would trigger the last spell you casted, multiples of this could be planted in a tight cluster allowing them to be set off in quick succession, and it was invisible to all except the caster, so all that combined made it too damn cheap. It seemed fruity there so I'm not sure if it could work here

Some things to really consider for this;

Giving the bomb some obscurely visible cue to everyone, not just the caster.

Not causing a stun or knockback.

Making the bomb's caster unable to cast while the bomb is active, possibly limit other actions too.

It should be it's own spell(I'm all for a volcanic, lava-geyser sprite on this) , not something that can copy multiples of any spell in your book.

Perhaps have the spell set down 3 bombs that are randomly placed in a 7x7 area, the individual bombs cannot be less than 3 tiles apart from another.

Caltrops that can be made through manufacturing that are heavy enough so that they're more viable for warriors than mages. It would be a consumable that you activate. Throughout 40 steps, up to 15 caltrops are randomly placed down where the user steps, they shouldn't stack on top of another and would be capable of hurting the user as well so caution would be needed if attempting to group them tightly.

Add some danger to the chase, thats all.

Sounds like some sort of fun "mini-game" within helbreath where you can score points by making the bomb explode ...

The bomb idea sounds good for an Event, but i dont like it as a spell or anything. Mages i think have enough spells to kill people with.

The bomb idea sounds good for an Event, but i dont like it as a spell or anything. Mages i think have enough spells to kill people with.

+1.

mages are damn powerful already.

You already have a Hell-Fire that massacres everything with it's only drawback being mana-consumption?

Don't forget if you add limits to the actions of the user like no casting or slowed or no movement while a target carries your bomb, on top of the bomb posing a threat to friend and foes alike, then I think you can assume this has a lot of potential in both strategic gains and set-backs.

Edited by Xolotl