Sign in to follow this  
itachi

Reset Is Not An Option?

White, server live for a long time, we have a nice History, but now no are the time to reset?

Sure nemesis will take your 200+ ppl online .

how cool would it be if 200 people were online....

Are there any requirements for a wipe? or just when the feel for it is needed?

Sure would be cool, would be like the early days of nemesis 2... the first year I was GM... I had my hands full supporting the community and being a GM that I even ended up stopping to play as a player ! just to support the community as a GM.

And that's actually where I still am... left-off as a player, being a GM permanently to develop new features for the community.

Obviously there are requirements for this, they're as next (in most important order):

1. Have no more or insufficient population playing.

2. Have a fully stablised source or the means to stablise it within minutes after a crash in DEBUG (which allows us to view source & fix the issue).

3. Have an active staff to support the next Nemesis.

4. Have sufficient new features for the next Nemesis.

5. Have the current staff convinced a reset is necassary.

At this point in time, I can tell you we only meet half-way of point 2, we have a fully deployed debugging mechanism that allows us to fix any crashes occuring, but not yet within minutes but within hours after the crash.

All other points are not even close to be completed.

Sure would be cool, would be like the early days of nemesis 2... the first year I was GM... I had my hands full supporting the community and being a GM that I even ended up stopping to play as a player ! just to support the community as a GM.

And that's actually where I still am... left-off as a player, being a GM permanently to develop new features for the community.

Obviously there are requirements for this, they're as next (in most important order):

1. Have no more or insufficient population playing.

2. Have a fully stablised source or the means to stablise it within minutes after a crash in DEBUG (which allows us to view source & fix the issue).

3. Have an active staff to support the next Nemesis.

4. Have sufficient new features for the next Nemesis.

5. Have the current staff convinced a reset is necassary.

At this point in time, I can tell you we only meet half-way of point 2, we have a fully deployed debugging mechanism that allows us to fix any crashes occuring, but not yet within minutes but within hours after the crash.

All other points are not even close to be completed.

1) is done

2) depends of you and farjat

3) that not necesary , this server have alot of good players for be a GM

4) some changes will be for help this server , % bar of skill - hell fire cant be buy - and for minimun 5 months no 1 cant buy a rare spell / weapon / quit auto-connect to server / make some use to FH cape.

5) only decided this farjat

1) is done

2) depends of you and farjat

3) that not necesary , this server have alot of good players for be a GM

4) some changes will be for help this server , % bar of skill - hell fire cant be buy - and for minimun 5 months no 1 cant buy a rare spell / weapon / quit auto-connect to server / make some use to FH cape.

5) only decided this farjat

1) You feel like that it's done, but do the active people think the same?

2) True, it's what we work at every day and we have something that is close to what we want in terms of stability

3) Good players don't make good GMs. It takes about 2 years or longer for a GM to get settled and know every aspect of nemesis, we see that now happening once again with Alka GM, he's a real player GM, he knows some stuff, but not all about it. It'll take years for him to be trained in the way we handle things and learn every detail of nemesis and how our systems work.

4) Skill bar: check (v5.41), enable/disable auto reconnect: check (v5.41), make use of hero cape + no rares in donation store: will happen if we ever reset. the rares entered to support the crazy people, the rares will be gone from store if we ever start fresh. and the hero cape will be PART of the hero set (= be required to have full functionality of hero set !)...

I can tell even more:

- weapon activation cooldown: check (v5.41) [this introduces Sword of Medusa into the game again after this system has been evaluated !]

- extended party system: check (v5.41)

- Safe-Zones removed & replaced by a safe-zone "buff": check (v5.41)

- Buff Icons & timers on-screen: check (v5.41) [AMP/PFM/PFA/GDS/DS/... but NOT mim/para/inhib/... cuz they are de-buffs]

5) Not just Farjat, it's entire staff that needs to support it, if one is against, it won't work (unless the one staff member adjusts and accepts, or is kicked out, but that's not our goal to kick out staff members if not for a good reason)

I'll tell you even more onto point 4, all what I mentioned is about v5.41 is very close to be finished, it's like 80% done and i hope to finish it off by the end of the weekend somewhere, at which point I can open the test server again and pick some randoms in-game to help me test it all :D

in point 1 , yes , we talk everyday for this reason of reset , in point 4 well we really need that like i said . in point 3 its depends how you look or feel how be a "player" . something i miss to say its plz for the love of god cut that $hit of auto event for this moment , give the power to alka GM or appear some gm to do event cant be possible never can kill nothing! we low ppl that kind of events at this moment of the server no works! plz Event[GM] wake up !

edit: another thing we need multiple messages like "visit our web page " "check calendar events" "for more info" like that.

Edited by DamaBlanca

just because server resets does not mean ppl will just return.....

True. I think we should resolve the reasons why people left? I have few opinions, I'll post mine after more discussion.

Personally I think the reset is not an option at this time. Simply view posts from previous years and inevitably live a similar crisis and this is for several reasons:

1 - We all grow and have new obligations so we play less (perhaps with better quality but less so).

2 - Each year a new server opens that shows promise but does not last more than 8 months and then all return to the safe place where we kept what we got.

3 - Everything has a shelf life and is no exception Helbreath is almost a game collection, so the community is more or less stable and is rare to join new generations when phones have games with better graphics, making it less attractive to the eye (not the gameplay).

Surely if a reset would have, at least initially, 200 people playing it then would drop to 80 and would remain at 60. Since I doubt that excuse of old players "I do not start a server again, because you have to train and blablabla", because the server that opens, server to get to play. You have to be aware that now we complain about the few people but many people, we would complain of lag that we would produce 50 magicians pulling blizz.

Get out in the sun and let the time pass, this always get up and do it again I guess. Just enter a few minutes a day, not to lose the habit.

Mariano

why that everybody trying to kill his/her babies ....

why not do SOMETHING that this babies grow ever , the best ! ?

perhaps can be PRESIDENT ?

i cant understand any of this, what is he saying?

i cant understand any of this, what is he saying?

he's high but really really high

its tough drawing the crowds back. however, i always feel that nemesis has the best hb gameplay. at least it is the one thats most similar to the original hb source. no funny add-ons...

I have to admit iam torn over this issue,

There seems to be good remarks for both sides.

Our side is not a remark. If we reset with server like this unstable will get crashes on first day already..

i ment more so from players points, i should of been clearer.

i learnt along time ago, when dictators talk to listen or you might end up in a ditch somewhere..... :D :P :D lol joke but kinda ture in some weird way

:D

We are not ready for a reset yet.

when then?

Tick, Tack... The mouse ran up the clack (read as clock), time has swallowed it whole, with tail and oll (read as all) !

Only then we'll be ready. (when time has swallowed it whole, with tail and all - a reference to nemesis and its population)

I have to admit iam torn over this issue,

There seems to be good remarks for both sides.

Our side is not a remark. If we reset with server like this unstable will get crashes on first day already..

True, a server crashing or being offline for a single minute the first week is doomed to fail, every crash is remembered by the 200 players as a failure... and many will leave if it takes hours to fix them.

Just recently (less than 12h ago) we had a crash in aresden, luckily with the recent change in setup of our debugger, we were able to determine the cause and resolve the issue within 5 minutes.

This is one was a fairly easy one, but I encounter the same crashes as I did the past weekend, the heap space crashes, then I am clueless on how to solve them... heap space means memory issues, leaks, bad pointers. They're very very very hard to resolve as the source of the original memory problem occurs seconds? minutes? or even hours before the actual crash occurs.

Even with this kind of setup, where we can easly look into the values of the crash and the debugger pointing us the location of crash, we ain't stable enough to reset and would cause a disaster as Farjat mentions.

I am just curious. What are the plans nemesis have on hand to bring the crowd back? Looks like there are new severs as each few days go by.

I am just curious. What are the plans nemesis have on hand to bring the crowd back? Looks like there are new severs as each few days go by.

Various updates that should be able to draw back the crowd, but is yet to happen.

I'm talking about updates such as beginner/noob quests which kinda guide the new people through nemesis content from lvl 1 in the beginners zone to level 180+ with their first DK set, first angel.

Additional quests, from Guards, Blacksmith, WH keeper etc which draw the player to specific pits with specific goals, this way they encounter the mobs, need to fight them, learn to collect and watch for drops aswell as learn their location in specific maps.

Holiday quests are also an attempt to draw people back, handing out unique items only obtainable through these holiday events with every holiday a new item to be collected. These quests are indeed fairly long and large to complete, but sufficient time is foreseen to do so. the huge amount of things that need to be done for the holiday quests keep the player going and keeps them in-game

Auto-Reconnect which keeps crowd in the game, if you AFK or are just fighting and a DC occurs, you're reconnect right away, this simply ensures you can keep on playing. Often people exit the game when they disconnect (out of frustration), now the game auto-reconnects them, so only a hard-logout (count down from 10 to 0) makes them logout. This ensures players are less tempted to leave the game.

Various other upcomming long-promised features that should increase the overall satisfaction of the players. Features such as the party system upgrade that'll show party members on the mini-map, including an interface that shows the party member's their HP, MP, SP, level, and XP progress. Also the larger party size should encourage players to join in again and construct larger hunts. we'll increase the limit to 16 party members, but we can go higher if the need of it is there.

The skill progression bar should also make it easier for the new and old players to see progress of their skill, how much they have to do before they get to the next % in their skill.

Buff Icons shown in the corner of the screen, they show which buffs (bonuses) you have on you (amp/pfa/pfm/gds/invi/zerk/ds/etc...) aswell as their remaining time before they run out. Also this benefits both new and old players, where it's more for the new because the old know how to time themselfs, the new guys are often used to having buff icons with timings on their screen, so we just bring this to them to make life easy.

Safe-zone changes and item activation cooldowns are the 2 other features that are upcomming in v5.41, both should benefit PvP and reduce the amount of crap-talk that is going on in the game and the amount of whining about unfair usage of summon-creature in a safe-zone area. the item cooldown basically makes it so passing on activation items is less over-powered. Often now groups of 3 to 4 people can go and raid using a single activation item, passing it on and on to activate time after time, only using the activation item without using their brains to scare, disturb and possible kill their enemy in a mindless way. with the cooldown on the item, the group is forced to think about targets, strategies and are required to fight on a fair-foot with their enemies as their activation items are on cooldown, yet have the advantage if they can stall the fight long enough, they can activate their power item once again to possibly gain the advantage and win the fight. This also benefits the new players as the amount of times they die by activation reduced because if they get activated on, and manage to escape & survive, they won't be activated on by the same group for the next X minutes as the item is on cooldown.

Most of the upcomming features have been long promised and repeated many times in the suggestion forums by the community, so I've found the time to develop them and they are about to be ready. Only some minor graphical parts remain to be completed, graphical parts to allow a better experience and different choices in interface displaying (location of the party info on the screen and the amount of info shown etc...).

This sorta concludes the present and short-future of things we did or have (almost) ready to release, alot of the recent updates are all made for the benefit of the new players, yet also keeping an eye on the existing ones to bring them some nice things aswell.

In a longer-term future we have the PvP Tournament System, this is a grand feature that should draw back the crowd or a big part of it atleast to nemesis again, it's a unique feature that'll be so huge and offer unlimited possibilities regarding tournaments. I'm talking about tournaments like we had a year ago (PvP String Tournament) but with alot better support and a GM-independancy where the server is the judge and makes no mistakes and cannot be doubted or abscent due to time-limitations. All will depend on the players and their team.

sounds good white. especially on the auto reconnect part. does it counter pulls? as in like when a player is boxed he pulls and gets dc.

sounds good white. especially on the auto reconnect part. does it counter pulls? as in like when a player is boxed he pulls and gets dc.

Depends on the way you pull... yes, there are multiple ways to pull:

1. physical pull: unplug the cable

2. software pull: disable the network card

3. process pull: kill the HelGame.exe pull

4. invalid pull: a casual DC seen as a pull

In all cases except for 3, the reconnect will kick in right away. In case 3 it can't cuz the HelGame.exe is closed.

But in all other cases the reconnect kicks in right away, but only will immidiately reconnect the player in case 4 as it was only a casual DC. in cases 1 and 2 it will keep counting to reconnect untill internet connection is returned, which in both cases depend on the puller when he/she plugs back in the cord or enables his network card again.

Yet there are 2 ways the reconnecting is aborted: manually pressing the ESC button after 1000 milliseconds have passed since reconnect (unlikely to occur in a casual DC unless the player has extreem lagg) or when internet connection was lost for 3 minutes or longer because then the auto updater token becomes invalid and the entire client must be restarted in order to login again.