Sign in to follow this  
Juno_NH

A Few Ideas I'd Like To Share Plx0rz.

shefki and I were discussing some ways to improve the server

there was an agreement that new players struggle alot

one idea that was mentioned was more use of the civilian mechanic in the game

players choosing to be civilian should be able to access gardens/town huntzones, but not pvp zones (ml etc) or the main town maps during raid days. also any map accessed by CH teleporting is off limits to civilians.

one way this can be done is by linking farms to hunt zones. during raid days civilians will be force recalled to farm if entering a forbidden zone. this should prevent spying and dishonest activites.

another idea i would very much like to see implimented is a pvp area for new players.

not pvp against other player, but against a computer opponent. similar to a twin, but normal player strength with basic items.

this will be arena training area, where you can fight against npc that mimics human player. not with complex activity like firewall self when para, but more general like he will chase and hit you with sword. running at normal speed and no crits. also there will be basic mage opponent who will chase and cast magic, perhaps lightning strike or meteor. they can be para'd, frozen, interupted and have normal casting time/hitting time.

this sounds like simple idea, but it will teach new players important principles in nemesis, like slowing your opponent with freeze, and paralizing him when runnning towards you in line. i dunno would this be easy to code, but definately new player struggle with change from slow predicitable NPC to fast paced PVP and then they die alot and leave game.

another solution is for a new official position to be created. apply to be trainer, and be available for training and show new player around. it will give a few perks, like you can tp player to and from arena anytime, but no where else, and you enter lottery with other trainer for limited/fragile items or stones.

Civilian mode is nearly used as new players out level max civil mode really fast in the barracks. Even inside there it has no use at all.

further more I can only agree that we need to support new players some more. That's one of the reasons why we are adopting to a new quest system in October. This system will allow us to make serveral quests that guide New players trough their journey from the beginners zone untill their dk set and even shortly after explaining them about majestics, angels and upgrading their dk weapons.

the other Idea of Trainers sounds fun, but normal ppl can be that too, they just need to hook up with.the new guys. Those ppl don't need to be having some kind of trainer status, that's not needed and brings nothing good to the game.

the npcs acting like players is possible, but making an ai for that is kinda hard, it would be a lot of code for something that'll be used by only an extreemly small % of the players. Aka waste of time.

i meant civ for max level. max level is so fast here ofcourse civ mode currently is useless.

the biggest difficulty for new player, and some old player, is speed of pvp. its very fast paced, and so different from PVM/PVE that new player cannot stand a chance. also fundemental things like amping/pfm yourself and not standing still when getting hit are things you can do in PVE and get away with, but in pvp you will definately die for new player.

when you see new player do this, most people shout at them with abuse and give them bad welcome to HBnem, hurting server population.

most players will not help new player without reward, because they are selfish, but some low rewards are not going to upset game balance (stones/contrib/EXP/gold).

pvp training arena with pvp bot would be hardest solution, but in long run it would be available for anyone at anytime, and once set up it doesn't need maintenance.

i meant civ for max level. max level is so fast here ofcourse civ mode currently is useless.

the biggest difficulty for new player, and some old player, is speed of pvp. its very fast paced, and so different from PVM/PVE that new player cannot stand a chance. also fundemental things like amping/pfm yourself and not standing still when getting hit are things you can do in PVE and get away with, but in pvp you will definately die for new player.

when you see new player do this, most people shout at them with abuse and give them bad welcome to HBnem, hurting server population.

most players will not help new player without reward, because they are selfish, but some low rewards are not going to upset game balance (stones/contrib/EXP/gold).

pvp training arena with pvp bot would be hardest solution, but in long run it would be available for anyone at anytime, and once set up it doesn't need maintenance.

Civ for max level will just bring everyone civ 24/7 hunting garden, DV, SW like a mad man. Don't forget DV & SW contain mobs that drop good items (i'm talking about Ettins that drop good rares).

People would refrain from PvP'ing and sit as a civ 24/7 in hunting maps for better gear without the need of being careful when hunting, never need to watch their back...

I could agree on it if being a civ would decrease drop rate by 20 or 30%, making it more appealing to hunt as a combatant. civ mode is more safe but would come at a price...

True, PvP is very paced and different from PvE, you need to react fast and instantanious. Even a PvP-tutorial-NPC can't teach you that. Often PvP isn't a 1v1 fight, it's a many vs less fight to which the new players would still die, even with a PvP training NPC.

Rewarding players for training new players and teaching them is a good idea. Try to expand the idea by formulating this more in a quest-style way for both the new player and the old player with objectives that the new and/or old player have to complete in order to be successfull teaching for the new player, yet rewarding for both of them. (stupid idea for quest like: new player must amp/pfm himself. - old player must amp/pfm new player. - new player must amp/pfm old player. - ... kinda objective stuff like this but perhaps more complicated and multi-objective quests in a teaching way.)

The hurting of nemesis pop for such things is nemesis' old player's own fault... most players are selfish, not willing to help the new guys and cry 24/7 that there is nobody to kill or play along with cuz the new guys ain't staying. aka it's their own fault.

helping people stop hurting themselves and their community is what government is for (aka GM's/staff)

ofcourse telling people/forcing people to do something is not popular (unless they can see obvious benefit immediately), but sometimes government has to force a change in society to improve it in the long run, even if people complaining at first, and have no vision to see benefit in long term.

you know... maybe re-introducing badword could be good, because then new player wont be able to abuse new player when they make mistake.

but then again, restricting people freedom just so someone wont feel bad or can't take critisicm is not fair and might make more people unhappy than it stops from being abuse.

well its tough problem and all people in the world dealing with it so i don't expect any quick fix for nemesis, but interesting social experiment in this game, perhaps we should ask university or research groups if they would like to pay for running social experiments on our server.

Still waiting the cold down in the Rare weapons .... best solution , more action more fights all ppl can enjoy this game i think can add more strategy at this moment.

Still waiting the cold down in the Rare weapons .... best solution , more action more fights all ppl can enjoy this game i think can add more strategy at this moment.

It'll come, v5.41 (Estimate Release Date: November 2012)

still waiting you on the server! you said 1 time i gonna raid with you !!! :P

The day will come... if I find some time to play lol xD

Anyway, you can expect weapon cool down very soon though, if all goes to plan, we'll see this feature already mid to end of october ;)

And if I work hard tonight, we get v5.40 this weekend ;)

Anyway, you can expect weapon cool down very soon though, if all goes to plan, we'll see this feature already mid to end of october ;)

GoGoGoGoGO White! :D

GoGoGoGoGO White! :D

There's 3 things left to do:

1. Increase contri of crafting attempts (this is easy, done in 2 seconds, still need to decide proper value though)

2. Finish the quest-management part (this is the hardest and longest thing to finish, should only take me 2 or 3 more hours to do this)

3. Add in the tutorial quest-chain for new players and a couple basic quests (forsts, ettins, ...) to kick start the new quest system. (this is the last part, which requires the management part to be finished for easy-usage, should only take about 1 to 2 hours to complete as most quests are already written down or the concept is very clear already)

Once those 3 are done, from which eventually 2 can be skipped if we add quests on hand into quest configuration database, but that'll still take 2 to 5 hours to be completed, we can actually release v5.40 after such a long time :D