Sign in to follow this  
WhiteFang

Discussion: Anti-spy Measurements

As you've recently noted, we have implemented some code against spies.

This code isn't perfect yet, so I want to discuss with the community on ideas how to prevent spies, or atleast give them a hard time to spy on the opposite town.

Yet I do not want to prevent people from logging into opposite town to just play along with them.

The current system works this way:

You cannot login to a char of opposite side in the same map.

I'd like to discuss what can be improved and more how to improve it.

Let me start off by giving some global ideas about spieing and how to prevent it or make it harder to occur...

- Prevent players from logging into opposite town chars at all. Once chosen, stay on that side.

-->> I don't like this one, I don't like to limit people into their choice of town.

- Prevent players from logging into opposite town chars if they recently (< 5 minutes ago) logged out of an opposite town char.

-->> I like this idea, yet it just lengthens the time needed to go spy, but doesn't really prevent it.

- Prevent players from logging into the opposite town chars at the same time.

-->> This is aprox what we currently have been using.

- Any kind of other solution ???

Currently I've come up with the next idea:

- Prevent opposite towns from logging in at same time using same IP address, regardless of server.

- Prevent opposite towns from logging in at same IP address if they change to a char of opposite town within 5 minutes of time. So after 5 minutes waiting, the player can login to the char which is from the opposite town.

- Prevent opposite towns from logging in at same time using same IP address, regardless of server.

- Prevent opposite towns from logging in at same IP address if they change to a char of opposite town within 5 minutes of time. So after 5 minutes waiting, the player can login to the char which is from the opposite town.

- make bi only place to log into 2 town at the same time.

Probly the best ideas for slowing down spy's.

But i still think being able to "link" accounts is a better idea, as not having to login to an emeny town to transfer items between accounts means ppl have no reason to log other town at all unless they are actually playing that town.

Then create new chat type for Trading only, this further reduses people from saying, iam logg into enemy town to trade, making even easier to find and bann people for spying.

i knwo some ppl dont liek this idea, but it would actually help alot. As if ppl can trade over and between the two town maps ( via talking, and going to bi for actuall trade or ml etc.) then there is no reason to log into other town, also ppl cant use excuses as to why they in a other town on a traveler.

hope you like the ideas :D

Tim lugiore

Edited by lugiore

i am with lugio, not connecting opposite towns in same server is useless, thay place a spy in ch, then look for you wherever u are. Blue talking should be safe, or at least safer, now typing blue is same as red.

rep amnesty

for 10 minutes after logging on, if killed by same town cause no rep loss to killer and no criminal status

-> will allow townpeople to kill spy without crim, wont affect real players because they will be logged on for some time before going to fight

for 5 minutes after logging on travellers can be damaged by players but drop nothing if killed, give no ek, and no criminal status or rep loss.

-> will allow killing of travellers who log on and walk around wh/shop spying during raid, most real new player take more than 5 min to get from game start to main towns.

some obvious helps would be civilians have magic ban in towns, or if you want to do some coding, all civilian spells are ignored by combatants (including armordmg/stam drain/protectionspells/freeze) so they dont stick on target (protection spells are immediately cancelled)

Agreed, but what about logging out your ARES for exemple, and log an ELV.

Is it SPY? WITHOUT MULT CLIENT!

Edited by Maconhado

Agreed, but what about logging out your ARES for exemple, and log an ELV.

Is it SPY? WITHOUT MULT CLIENT!

Yes is Spy!!! Stop run dc and log elv!!!!!!!!

I'd only like that chars on BI didnt count, aka, i can an ares, and as long as it is on BI, i can log an elv aswell, and vice-versa.

if the player recall while the other isnt at BI, he dc's.

Add that when you log out a char OUT of bi, you must wait 5 minutes to log out a diff town that's out of bi

well its the same all cuz , all got tools without hb for spy like ts or skype and say where its all . plz make more events or make Hb more fun and all trashtalkers and this noobs gonna start to play serious if they dont lets pass bann hammer again .

well its the same all cuz , all got tools without hb for spy like ts or skype and say where its all . plz make more events or make Hb more fun and all trashtalkers and this noobs gonna start to play serious if they dont lets pass bann hammer again .

Dama u cant trust players to be good. We need to put limits by system its the more fair way.

Dama u cant trust players to be good. We need to put limits by system its the more fair way.

Well the best idea i can think right now is get a 1 Gm more active i dont say 24 hrs but 2 or 3 hs for day ill be great , but no white he do a heavy work for get all ok here. Where is Mj ? or some other gm? i see Sexy a few weeks im glad she come back.

i offer to be gm. i will be Hunter2[GM]

Never ! Hunter2, NEVER I SAY ! have some respect and honour for Hunter, he's one of our finest event GMs we got!

As Farjat[GM] always tells me: a good player doesn't make a good GM.

New GM = Bad Idea.

Why ppl want GM chars. Gms cant do much inside game. Real support is on tickets. Char Gms are only visual. And a bad Gm is a bad visual. We are ok with our GMs.

The fact is, it is impossible to stop spying 100%. Only ways to slow down so as to make so hard/annoying that people don't do it, due to those factors.

New GM's wont help much either, people know when GM's are online and change behaviour to suit and i dont think we need Babysitters in-game all the time. Most of us are adults.

But we do need to stop the spying, WONT SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN??

Too bad there isnt a shame section in the forums for spys and lamers :(

Edited by lugiore

The fact is, it is impossible to stop spying 100%. Only ways to slow down so as to make so hard/annoying that people don't do it, due to those factors.

New GM's wont help much either, people know when GM's are online and change behaviour to suit and i dont think we need Babysitters in-game all the time. Most of us are adults.

But we do need to stop the spying, WONT SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN??

Too bad there isnt a shame section in the forums for spys and lamers :(

Online GMs will only bring complains and things like spy or pull always bring troubles.

Adding restrictions is the real solution.

Maybe restricting isnt the 100% solution, but we make it harder to spy, and if someone find the way to spy this way is better logged cause need some "procedure" to be made cause restrictions.

We have a lot of offers to be a GM and we are not taking anyone. Today me and white are 100% active. Mj and Jing always check forums and they know whats going on also. Theres no server with better support than this one.

i say no opposite town logged at same time in the same ip except in bi.

Edited by Engel

I 100% agree with engel. Why would you need to log opposite town with same ip? Just log one town and play that town! If you want to play as elv then play as elv. If you want play as area play as ares. Only those who log both towns honestly are doing it to check the blue

Edited by fyw721