Sign in to follow this  
Apollo

New Players The Server.

Background info:

Me and 5 friends started this server around a week ago and we love it. One thing we've noticed is that if new people start, they leave quickly. As you know, the server has been around along time and the majority of users have sweet armour, full hero etc. This results in new guys getting mowed, almost every i fight on my mage throws on an mr / ma set. Almost every mage my friends fight on their warriors throw on pa / df sets.

Now i know every has worked hard for these items and thats great. The bullshit thing is that the server is averaging 70 people when im online (GMT evening and weekends), and i'd say 40% of those 70 are afk in warehouse.

Biggest problem is new guys dont stand a chance and leave, second biggest problem is a lot of you regular guys seem to treat new people like shit (it almost seems that no one wants new people).

Before the flame war begins i want people to understand im NOT trying to cause arguments. im NOT, i repeated, IM NOT ASKING FOR A WIPE.

All im trying to do is give my feedback on your great server. I've noticed this issue, and im sure everyone else has. so the real question is.

wtf can we do about it?

I'm sure this has been discussed to death and there could even be a thread about it (if there is im sorry.).

so... suggestions please?

Actually, I don't think much HAS been suggested to this issue. Usually someone asks for a wipe, then other people start flaming/agreeing, and the topic goes to crap.

So...what do I suggest? Bring in a LOT of new people at one time, and BE PATIENT. Bringing in new people is great, but actually keeping them...that's the hard part.

We need to be willing to teach them, NOT shit-talk them, not kill them 50 times, and show them safer places to train. There are plenty of maps in HB, and even though some pits are slower, they're much better for new players than pits like IG or Troll.

Practice with them - take them on small hunts, take them to PVP practice in BI.

Give them a few small items - Ogre Ring, Emerald Ring, etc. are nice for new players - gives them something to take care of.

Overall, BE PATIENT! We were "noobs" at one point too, we just need to remember that and be patient with the new generation of newbies.

Now all this is easier said than done, even for me, but if we all try to start acting a LITTLE bit nicer to the new players, it will go a long way.

Actually, I don't think much HAS been suggested to this issue. Usually someone asks for a wipe, then other people start flaming/agreeing, and the topic goes to crap.

So...what do I suggest? Bring in a LOT of new people at one time, and BE PATIENT. Bringing in new people is great, but actually keeping them...that's the hard part.

We need to be willing to teach them, NOT shit-talk them, not kill them 50 times, and show them safer places to train. There are plenty of maps in HB, and even though some pits are slower, they're much better for new players than pits like IG or Troll.

Practice with them - take them on small hunts, take them to PVP practice in BI.

Give them a few small items - Ogre Ring, Emerald Ring, etc. are nice for new players - gives them something to take care of.

Overall, BE PATIENT! We were "noobs" at one point too, we just need to remember that and be patient with the new generation of newbies.

Now all this is easier said than done, even for me, but if we all try to start acting a LITTLE bit nicer to the new players, it will go a long way.

Glad your with me, i for one am going to speak to the rest of my guys and started inviting people to our guild / hunts. I mean, we cant give items - because we have none :) but we can still try make people feel welcome.

I think the bigger problem is people who know what theyre doing (like me and my friends), we havnt played for around 5 years. We came back and get mowed. but we realise that eventually we'll be able to hold our own. Im just not sure what could be done.

How do you get alot of new people at once?!

Well I think that the solution is really simple: Provide them a guild.

Now, with the new guild system, guilds are still building up. Most of bigger guilds are upgrading until they have all of their members in, which will take at least 3 levels.

The other day, talking to Tyfoid I said him that new players should gather up and start a guild, because for the moment, bigger/older guilds wont let join anyone as they are priorizing the entrance of original member before new ones can join.

No matter if guild members are all new players, the difference, the big difference is that you are not playing alone. I remember back when I started my first guild was made of all new people and we've grown together (and we where mowed sooo much) until we managed to be able to make a stand against older players. 80% of the guild kept playing.

So, thats my advice.

I think the matter of a guild, or grouping along is an important aspect for new players.

Perhaps I should start-up a Neutral guild where all newly created characters are joined in automatically, this guild would be maximized in level, size and capacity to at one side allow sufficient space for new members, the other side to teach them about all features of the nemesis guild system aswell as provide them with a large warehouse space for the old players to donate items (by giving them to the guild leader - me) for the new players, who can take them out from the guild warehouse and keep them.

Within this guild I could organize some hunts and teaching lessons and classes for players to come to and attend to learn about the game and all the available features etc.

I like the idea of a guild that you're automatically assigned to when you become a citizen. Maybe there needs to be a huge campaign or something.

maybe have an increased drop rate weekend to get people interested, i.e mega weekend.

all characters that are built within the last month (from the date of the weekend) get x2 eks, increased drop rate. I have no idea how difficult that would be to code or how people would feel about that. You cant offer people boosted experience as it already easy to get to 180.

Again though with this idea what is to stop existing users creating new accounts to abuse the drop rate.

urgh, this is difficult.

Absolutely understand how you feel. I can still remember how those "pros" treated me last time. How those "Big" guilds treat me before. They don't allow me to join their hunts, because I have a low mp set. Been harassed by enemy during fight, and being insulted by enemy AND own town member during fight, because - we are noob with bad items and we are new player. But yes, patient is the key.

My piece of suggestion is, if those "pros players and guilds" don't accept you, screw them. Go make your own guild and accept every new players in the game, train, and hunt with them. Get a good foundation. In 6 months time, you will realize that your guild is actually big and strong enough to play with the rest.

Would really hope that I'm still playing now and accepting new players like I used to.

I created a guild on Aresden side for the semi-new players. The problem that I have trouble with is the language barrier. 90% of the new players in Aresden are Spanish speakers. I do not speak Spanish but I have a few great guild members helping me translate. We upgraded as fast as we could, but due to the fact that most of our members are beginners they do not acquire the ability and patience to farm quests all day. Unlike me, I'm playing average 6 hours a day right now due to my injury. So I think it would be best to have a designated Guild-Master for each noob guilds, allowing the players to receive proper help. I don't mind helping out new players since that's really all I do. When people still sell reps for 30k I think it is sad and hilarious at the same time. You get 100+k for each quest reward and yet you wont spare 100k to give to new players. Also then the problem of new players being depended on running around town begging everyone for gold and not doing any work them self.

I also think this game has gotten to the point where ogre rings, ring of wizards. mp 7 armor, and mp 35 shields should be allowd to be purchased at a special shop. Of course make them reasonably expensive so new players have to actually work for them. Then again old players must realize that giving out a bunch of free gold wont do new players any good if this idea every gets released. That would solve the problem of new players from begging for gold, and they would start questing and interact with the game more. The more they play the better chances of items being dropped. PvP action will be increased, then we would be able to keep new players and perhaps even attract more players.

Overall this is just my personal opinion and the problems I have encountered during the process of my guild making.

srry if this was suggested before, ill be at home by saturday, now i got this shity wi fi so i crash every 5 secs xD

i think a pr0 idea would be a pit guide, u know at f1 or w.e, that shows where pits are (the common ones for training, DE, ig, trolls, even maps like garden). I always read ppl asking around where should they train, and i usually tell em, if its some1 who has already played HB its ok cuz they know maps, but if they ve never played it before, they barely know how to reach there, i always answer like "run to the north white dot, then to the north <<< one" (to reach garden). Thing is most nubs only know pits like sc/ww/ogre, and they get raided 24/7 there, so knowing alternative pits would allow em to have more options to train and maybe then they would stay :P

if some how we can get the beginners to train at the same map and practice fighting with each other like promise land would be great. but then the problem of old players creating new characters and farm new players again....this is really a tough topic we need everyone to pitch in and get this problem solved really. i feel like thats how we are gonna keep new comers to increase the population then the chain reaction of more new comers would happen naturally. with so many private servers competing with us we need to take action and do something about how to get more people to come play here and stay....

I think we should do something with barracks, change dummies for slime, scorps and sg at lvl 1; trolls, ogres and werewolfs at lvl 2

With high exp and a higher (first) drop rate

If they get a decent drop and gold, is an incentive to stay...

At the moment, they train till lvl 180 in 10 minutes, they dont have any gold nor skill...

training with real npc at barracks could be slower than with dummies, but still is a safe place to train

I think we should do something with barracks, change dummies for slime, scorps and sg at lvl 1; trolls, ogres and werewolfs at lvl 2

At the moment, they train till lvl 180 in 10 minutes, they dont have any gold nor skill...

training with real npc at barracks could be slower than with dummies, but still is a safe place to train

Side effect would be: people creating new chars to go hunt in barracks for good items... which would be equal to making a non-pvp hunting zone xD

-> the old ppl will xfer items to noob char, equip it & go level in barracks.

Also I think, even if can prevent such things (make items bound?) then ppl still would level TOO FAST in barracks to enjoy the drop rate or skill training there.

Side effect would be: people creating new chars to go hunt in barracks for good items... which would be equal to making a non-pvp hunting zone xD

Also I think, even if can prevent such things (make items bound?) then ppl still would level TOO FAST in barracks to enjoy the drop rate or skill training there.

And if item bounded ... player wouldnt have chance to trade ... so market would be over...

And if item bounded ... player wouldnt have chance to trade ... so market would be over...

true...

another idea could be to make mobs in barracks drop the bound item, and mobs outside drop unbound items, that way people hunt barracks, get a nice set for themselfs, then need to go in the wild (pvp active) areas, at the point they got nice gear to hunt & pvp with, their own sets.

Besides being bound, could make the set last for example like 2 weeks, that way they got 2 weeks to find a new/better (unbound) set, cuz by the time, after 2 weeks, they'll be 180 and can't go hunt for a new set.

that way market also stays alive as they're require to make trades or hunt for their own stuffs.

market wouldnt be over at all . lvling to 180 is short term. no one is going to waste time making new chars just to lvl in barracks.I still strongly encourage purchasing low mp/hp items for gold. lets say 250k for mp 7 hose or whatever the staff think is necessary. Then the items should be only repairable 3 times after that it just disappears like a 1/3 zem. PLEASE change barracks to lvl 100 and keep the exp as it is right now. Lvling to 100 is boring as shit. Bring PL back! Make it so Combatant or Civilians can enter PL. Therefore the pvpers can go pvp and the guys that are learning the game will just go and train till lvl 160. By doing this players will be forced to learn how to survive pvp and hunt monsters.

change raid time back to before 1 min on monday and tuesday. Wed , Thursday can only raid town and not EF/RH since 5 mis isnt enough time to run there anyways so it wouldnt really matter.

I think this barracks insane exp needs to end NOW. New players arent learning the game by interacting with the actual game.they're just running around in barracks like "dummies". We HAVE to give new players some what of a item boost to help them survive and train in the real helbreath world.

These are just thoughts would love to hear the feed back

something should be done with non rare skills (weapon's, magic, mr, pr), i know its not the main reason, but i ve seen players quitting cause its annoying to train skills, and lets be honest, its true, except for the rare skills (taming, alchemy, manu) its just a matter of time to get the other skills at 100%, and it doesnt really make a difference in gameplay having 100 or 50 hammer (i mean, it doesnt affect balance, it just affects the char). Rising the % in those skills should be way higher imo.

edit= To the ones asking for an improved PL: PL will always be crap, i mean, its good on low exp servers, but here, it will end up like before, with ppl mass item whoring chars just for fun at PL, and new players will stand even a smaller chance that vs those items on 180 chars, so they will just go for lvl 180. Imagine if i xfer my GBH to a PLer, or x neck, ppl would get stripped in 2 mins, or imagine a lvl 140 war itemless fighting against an hp70+ set. It's not a bad idea, but i just think that PL has no solution lol.

Edited by Exec

To White - Would it be possible to create "special" WW/Ogre mobs that drop a maximum of, let's say, HP/MP21 armors? That way, they would still drop some statted items, but people wouldn't really want to create a bunch of characters just to hunt there.

Also, another thought on that, people get kicked out at level 180 from barracks anyways, so max level characters couldn't stay in barracks to train forever. People would have to constantly create new characters and level them up in barracks to be able to hunt in peace, and knight armor really isn't the best thing to get hit by WW's and Ogres with.

To White - Would it be possible to create "special" WW/Ogre mobs that drop a maximum of, let's say, HP/MP21 armors? That way, they would still drop some statted items, but people wouldn't really want to create a bunch of characters just to hunt there.

Also, another thought on that, people get kicked out at level 180 from barracks anyways, so max level characters couldn't stay in barracks to train forever. People would have to constantly create new characters and level them up in barracks to be able to hunt in peace, and knight armor really isn't the best thing to get hit by WW's and Ogres with.

about the bs set, that would affect new ppl, old players could just xfer hp sets

wat about the pit guide i suggested before

anything is possible jing, just need to find balance for everything.

the point of pis in barracks has w3ont make people create new chars anyways. i dont understand why you guys keep focusing the topic on that. think about it, why would someone waste time lvl up a new char just in barracks when they could be on their main killing the same monster alot faster. no ones that stupid

pit guide

faster skills

lower gold cost for spells

+1 if we keep the barracks as it is right now thats a good match

if we dont decide to have pits in barracks

lvl limit cant be 180 - players cant be care beared for all day long they need to train at garden or SW or even ml.

need newbie item shop - but 3 time repairable max limit - good price discussion

and whatever we decide to have, faster skill lvl needs to be done asap

lowering gold price for spells is debatable , since a new player can easily sell a rep for 100k instead of 30k. who ever sells rep for 30k is a cheap bastard and obviously they dont quest enough

and whats the point of keeping spells costs? none

bs spells could even be free, and it wouldnt change anything. Spells prize is only good to annoy new mages