Sign in to follow this  
Hunter[GM]

***new Player Hot Tips***

Ever see a new player just do something so outlandishly NOOBISH that you want to whisper them and go crazy?

Or, have you seen them doing something so wrong that you want to help them do it the right way?

This thread is not meant to insult.....this is a "been there, done that" type thread where veteran Helbreath

and veteran Nemesis players can come and share some hot tips on:

- leveling skills

- gaining experience

- making gold

- hunting

- training pvp

- behavior at summon events

- how to handle in game issues

- common sense strategies that helped you

- tried and true tips from the pros

Feel free to add your words of wisdom here to help out our new players.

New player today, means FRESH meat in the pits, sades tomorrow!

My hot tip is this...level 141-179

Where to train? Where to level? Where to experience?

GARDEN GARDEN GARDEN

I cant say it enough...you train your skills- magic, long sword, MR, PR and also get experience.

There is also millionsssss in gold laying on the ground and another million in items that no one picked up.

Dont be proud! Bend down, pick it up and sell to blacksmith.

Start at the bottom of the map or the sides...and work slowly to the center as you level up.

always ask in town/allied chat, if anyone wants to party with you.

That is this chat ~

You would be surprised at how many others are also looking for someone to train with and there is safety in numbers!

Let the garden be your new home. On short raid days, the garden is too far for most enemies to run to, mount an attack and have anytime left over before re-time.

A couple of good tips I have in mind:

- Before you level out of barracks, train your shield skill to 100% at barracks lv2. Its fast as hell and you dont have to worry bout your hp since they only hit 1's, but they hit everytime so make sure u take lots of shields with you when u go there.

- When training your bow skill, farm 6 watermelons in a row and hit the last 1 with direction bow. This way you will hit every melon in the row and you get your archery skill up 6 times faster. Brakes your bows fast so if you can afford it, carry a couple of bows with you.

- ALWAYS carry an emerald or an ruby ring with you as well as m.shield wand. All the old players have tons of these in their wh's just ask some1 for them, or form a hc hunt and get some (its not that hard). Its true that they arent rare items, but they are awesome protection items so use them.

- This 1 goes for all the beginner mages:

Learn to shield cast - This means having shield as one of your hotkeys (f2 or f3) and carrying a bow.

Keep the bow and your primary wand on top of each other in your bag.

Shieldcast itself is simply, always after you have casted a spell and the very moment it lands hit the hotkey for your shield, then when you want to cast again open your bag and doubleclick your bow, then doubleclick your wand and you are good to go again.

Shield cast is a MUST for mages shield absorbs great amount of damage made by monsters / other players so saves tons of your hp points when being hit right after the spells you cast.

(Some players use m.shield wand as their second hotkey to make shieldcast even more usefull)

- Do not act as a hero, new players often think they will get good reputation for not retreating from a fight, but always fighting till the end, but this is not the case. This will only make you the most aimed player in any pvp situation. There are plenty of "not noobish" ways to escape from a fight.

For example make your enemies lose track of you and recall when theyre not in your screen.

Theres a little something from me. Good luck!

Edited by Ruutu / Risti

Excellent Ru, thanks...this is just the type of information I am searching for to share with them.

ALSO...GM staff...if a new player asks a ques that can be answered on the portal? Direct them there, pls.

Let's get them used to going to portal for information, and to the forum also.

Every new player should be making a forum acct as soon as they start.

Let's remind them of this!! Thanks

Promote the forum to the new players everytime players log in. Put it in the Introduction "F1" in game.

To new players that often get killed, try pf the enemies name when having guild hunt to prevent from ambush.

Valkyrie's Hot Tips to Hunting for Rares:

1) "If you hunt it, it will drop!" - This is meaning, hunt only 1 type of monster and eventually you get a decent rare drop. Lost count on the number of times I've hunted in WW pit and gotten flam+3 as a 2nd drop, when I could be hunting frosts or ettins and getting something really cool!

2) "It's not how long you hunt, it's how often!" - In my humble experience, most rares tend to drop in the 1st 15 to 30mins of a hunt. So if it hasn't dropped by then, you might as well go do something else and come back to it later.

3) "The faster the kill, the better the drop!" - A friend of mine just recently became FH, he goes to Icebound and trains in frost pit for 4 weeks, and BOOM, gets SB :o As for myself, 6 of the 7 rares I've found hunting frosts dropped within 6 months, when RODs become more readily available.

4) "Power is nothing without control!" - There's little point hunting say an Ettin with a BBH cus it has low hitting probability. A dk weapon might not hit as hard, but it does hit larger monsters more often, it also deals pretty decent damage when zerked.

5) "Park your char by the pit!" - It is my belief that the best time to hunt is as soon as you log on.

6) "Vit wars are best for hunting!" - I'm partial to a 158 vit war with 50 mag for this purpose, simply because you don't need to carry mp pots. Also, if you use a dk weapon, you rarely need to recall to repair it, so in a way, tips (4), (5) and (6) kinda work hand-in-hand.

7) Reputation and Contributions points - Some ppl claim they somehow help with drops, though I cannot confirm it. I'd suggest maxing these out just incase :blush:

8) Party Up! - Even if you're hunting by yourself, do use the /createparty command, you'll be 9% more likely to get a drop!

PS> If you've been hunting for an hour and haven't gotten a single drop, try logging out of HB altogether and reloading, I normally tend to get a 1st drop within 5mins or so ;)

Edited by IRONCLAD

looking for gold items? go to cyc pit in d2 their is ridiculous amounts of wands and swords just laying there some even have some nice stats ! but people just dont pick them up I have found a couple of hp 56 wands just laying in cyc pits its really worthwhile to go there!

looking for fast exp? cycs is also the best place to go in d2 however they are boring but it really is the fastest way to go.

if your a warr only train LS till lvl 170 then start training axe and hammer when you hit 180 ull have both 100% 5 lvls per 100% I figured this out when I was lvling my chr but you have to stick with cycs for this. I got 100% in one day of each so hammer one day and axe the next just because axe may seem crappy its really good vs most large monsters specially the +1 bx that you can buy from the BS.

dex isnt always everything I would rather perfer vit over dex mostly for the fact of DK armour makes up for it and it makes a huge difference with DK armour just dont try to pvp any 180 chr until you are 180 you may get close but their DK armour just makes that huge difference. remb recalling to save your life because your much lower then the lvl 180 trying to kill you is not being a wimp its called being smart and gives you a chance to train somewheres esle.

Ogres their another great place to train as long as you bring freinds to help you otherwise its a slow lvling experience, try and bring at least 3 friends with you so a total of 4, however 3 can do it fine also but that extra 1 person is nice to have.

ever find yourself bored and sitting in wh? dont, as much as it is fun to sit there and talk with friends and it is a part of HB it will make you get bored of the game and not want to play always try and organize something heck even WW's anything or go to DeathValley ( i forget what DV is in ares ) but just get off your wh sitting self and get out and do something ull enjoy the game much more

Just a little tip for beginner warriors. MA9 items and MA18-21 shields are pretty cheap and they'll save you most of time from mages. I would suggest first go for ma set because its more useful than mr if set is low.

Mining: best place to mine is in the middleland`s dungeon. Its located in the middle of middleland.Its smart to make a own char for mining and for other skills like manu/alch/fishing/farmin so ur main char dont waste skill % for these not so necessary skills. Mining is dangerous cos the best mining place is in war zone, so keep ur mining char under 85lvl so u dont give ek to the enemy who prob is laming eks in dungeon.

Magic skill: Sell rep to get gold. Buy detect inv scrolls from shop and click click click.. thats the fastest way to raise ur magic skill.

Places to lvl for Aresden warrior: 1-140 BARRACKS. 140-180 SILENTWOOD/GARDEN/Middleland WW/Middleland OGRE/Tower OF Hell/Middleland RIVER

Places to lvl for Aresden/Elvine mage: 1-140 BARRACKS, 140-180 Icebound IG/GARDEN

Places to lvl for Elvine warrior: 1-140 BARRACKS, 140-180 DEATHVALLEY/GARDEN/Middleland WW/Middleland OGRE/Tower OF Hell/Middleland RIVER

Locations u can check out from HB Nemesis portal

Tip if u lvl in garden: Partying is the fastest way to lvl in the garden. 1-2 wars lure monsters using tower shield and m.shield and 2-4 mages blizz the mobs (maybe the fastest way to lvl in the game)

Edited by Kokkeli

How to make money when you start? - Try to check every pit, mostly at ML/IB. Right weapons and wands are the most expensive when selling.

Wyvern pit (at IB) is most of times full of rings/necks/wands from which you can make a good profit. DF10 necks are sold almost 10k each, Golden Axes are worth 16k and you might find a bunch of them!

You can also keep some of them, they are useful at the beggining!

Get some training group - Always party up with your townmates. You have both drop and exp bonus when you party up. Theres always people willing up to do a party, so be wise and take advantage of it!

Avoid hot-zones - Try to avoid heavy traffic zones, or spots where you know sooner or later you will be eked. There are plenty of maps where theres low movement but still great exp. TOH1 for most advanced, D3 its a great place also. ML Cyclops, or just run around ML.

Make use of hunting zones (RH/EF-Gardens-DV/SW) on Mondays and Tuesdays. They are 100% safe and they provide a great training experience.

Dont be shy - Dont be shy because you are new or you are not skilled yet. Participate, talk, ask, is the best way to get friends ingame. Ask every doubt you have, there is always people willing to help. Make your town notice you are there and that you are willing to improve and be part of it.

Nice topic!!!

My suggestion:

"Patience is the mother of all sciences": Anywhere is fine to get drops if u have patience.... example, in any pit always drop armour every 45 or 60 minutes ^_^ (sometimes in lees)

Good day!!!

Try and trade for and get your hands on some invis potions as soon as you can.

They can only be used with your wand equipped, but you can use them right after taking damage.

Greet tool for when you get boxed by Giant Plants in the garden or enemy players in your town.

Remember, on raid days, if youre being chased, owned..you can always recall on them. You don't have to just die.

Trade that rep every hour for gold.

New players always get a few stone drops...save them and trade for a low % HP or MP item.

Warriors, try and get a wand with some CP% on it. Ask in your town...you will be surprised what the players here will be willing to GIVE you if you ask nicely.

We have the MOST generous community in Nemesis. These guys are always willing to give some items away to a new player who has a nice attitude.

Getting EK'd

When you die, it won't be the last time and it's probably not the first time.

Getting rolled by the enemy is a part of the game. Don't scream, cry, whine, curse, get angry.

Just learn from that situation how you can avoid dying in the future.

How you handle the negative parts of the game say a lot about you as a person and a player.

NONE of us like to be an EK but it is going to happen. The very best players on this server, still die from time to time i dont care who they are. Just brush it off and try again.

And remember when you are at the point of killing someone to do it gracefully and not rub it in the player's face, insult, tease or torture them over dying.

' date='Jun 7 2010, 09:07 PM' post='322643']

They can only be used with your wand equipped, but you can use them right after taking damage.

Greet tool for when you get boxed by Giant Plants in the garden or enemy players in your town.

For the ingredients i'll make you invis pots :) (on a NORMAL character ofcouse !)

For the ingredients i'll make you invis pots :) (on a NORMAL character ofcouse !)

There is a deal you cannot turn down.

Get the ingredients..orc meat, slime, skelly bones and go find WhiteFang.

' date='Jun 7 2010, 10:43 PM' post='322663']

There is a deal you cannot turn down.

Get the ingredients..orc meat, slime, skelly bones and go find WhiteFang.

More & other ingredients for other potions can be found at our Nemesis Portal:

http://portal.helbreathnemesis.com