Sign in to follow this  
Juno_NH

An Equation For Working Out Ping?

So i enter dos and ping the nemesis website

i get 120 ms

i live almost 5000 miles from dallas

i calculate 5000/120 and get just over 40 (rounded down for base use)

i live 60 miles from a cod4 server i use alot

my ping on that is 25-30

using the 40 mile base my ping should be less than 2

i imagine therefore there is some sort of increasing differential formula for calculating ping because the 2 examples dont sync.

or perhaps theres some sort of ping base that cant be reduced, say 20, imposed by latency gained at the telephone exchange or some elementary time delay in the servers computing functions?

perhaps even some latency is added once the signal enters your system as it queues it for proccessing, if im correct in thinking this is how network interface cards like the Killer series increase performance...

Can anyone please help explain the factors acting on your latency and how to calculate how distance affects ping?

A large amount of ping is determined by the number of "jumps" it takes to get the destination.

Jumps are when your computer tries to send information to where you want to connect to, but the information has to go through a number of "hubs" to actually get the information to the server in which you want to send information to.

So between you and the cod server there is less amount of jumps required to reach it where as there is a larger amount of jumps between you and the nemesis server. There is often times a rather long route to reach a not-so-far-away server, in which case would be bad routing.

Another cause of lag is due to lost or bad packets which can occur more frequently (usually) over a longer distance. This happens when either your computer sends bad packets (which usually means internal problems) or it becomes lost in the transfer between your computer and the destination server.

Edited by Synz

I have sort of same question.

I know people that live close to my place and have , idk, 150 ms average, meanwhile, I have 450+ ms, even 650-700 ms.. And I can't fking figure out what the hell happens :S

I have sort of same question.

I know people that live close to my place and have , idk, 150 ms average, meanwhile, I have 450+ ms, even 650-700 ms.. And I can't fking figure out what the hell happens :S

same internet provider?

Delay is basicly = to Distance.

But u can have more delay that others being in the same place. ill explain Why:

Me, using Gigared ISP from Argentina have 180ns

Friend, using Arnet, got 220ns

Why?

Arnet and Gigared are different providers. They use different Fiber optics/satellites etc to get to the same place.

I know Gigared Goes down from my place to buenos aires, then it go over brasil, colombia etc then it reach USA.

But i dont know if Arnet maybe is crossing Ocean and passsing for Africa or something. But its sure they took a longer route.

Delay is cable distance and quality, not only phisical distance

so is there a value to each of these factors, say something like...

hub = +10 ping

underground cable distance = +1 ping/100miles

underwater cable distance = +2 ping/100miles

good satalite = +50 ping

bad satalite = +100 ping

Look at where your trace goes, I know for Australia, our route to the US goes through Malayasia which is notoriously bad, before it hits Japan.

Edited by Vampyr

so is there a value to each of these factors, say something like...

hub = +10 ping

underground cable distance = +1 ping/100miles

underwater cable distance = +2 ping/100miles

good satalite = +50 ping

bad satalite = +100 ping

Basicly yes.

For example.

Here i live very close to the ISP central i use. Like 4 blocks only.

My friend, lives like 40 blocks of it.

We got the same ISP and the same connection Tipe. But his sucks just because the connection he needs to the ISP is coaxil cable (like *spam*og tv)

Coaxil cable speed sucks, so he have like +10 ping than me.

Also, i noticed my 4 blocks coaxil upling to the isp Takes the same that the fiber optic of the ISP getting into buenos aires. (1000km)

U can test this using traceroute comand

-----------------------------------

ALso i readed ppl "call" ISPs like saying "fix my internet connection to www.helbreathnemesis.com"

Basicly they cant. ISPs buys connection from a bigger company. To make u better they need to give u a better route. And most of the times they cant...

Big companies have more routes, sometimes they can.

-----------------------------------

Look at where your trace goes, I know for Australia, our route to the US goes through Malayasia which is notoriously bad, before it hits Japan.

On Argentina i have 180ns.

Pray for them never to use the south american path.

Maybe shorter way, but asia tecnology 1000% better and a lot of more routes.

So i enter dos and ping the nemesis website

i get 120 ms

i live almost 5000 miles from dallas

i calculate 5000/120 and get just over 40 (rounded down for base use)

i live 60 miles from a cod4 server i use alot

my ping on that is 25-30

using the 40 mile base my ping should be less than 2

This is because u dont have fiber optics to your computer.

For nemesis u use local isp lan (coaxil or telephone line which is slow) and then fiber optics between ISPs most of the way.

For Cod Server, most of the way is with slow cables...

At Work, i have fiber Optics. It gives me 10 ns less.

Yeah I can get about 250 ms. But we still use 1970's copper lines, not the fiber stuff.

On Argentina i have 180ns.

Pray for them never to use the south american path.

Maybe shorter way, but asia tecnology 1000% better and a lot of more routes.

anyway to find the physical route or locations of the individual hubs without having to query each ip in the route myself?

can you put the fibre optics in your house or is too expensive?

I know some isp's here offer fibre optic connection but i dont think they change all the cables in your house also, just your cable outside...

Edited by Juno_NH

Fiber optics is generally unavailable, but depends on where you are located globally. Generally these types of connections are only available in large cities and some of the wealthier nations of Europe (since the countries are so small).

If the location does have optical carrier lines, then it's not TOO bad price wise. Installing new line is extremely expensive however.

T-Carrier lines (T1->T3) are also quick connections that can be available in your area, but are generally used by large corporations with server farms...like colleges, businesses, and server providers.

Fiber optics is generally unavailable, but depends on where you are located globally. Generally these types of connections are only available in large cities and some of the wealthier nations of Europe (since the countries are so small).

If the location does have optical carrier lines, then it's not TOO bad price wise. Installing new line is extremely expensive however.

T-Carrier lines (T1->T3) are also quick connections that can be available in your area, but are generally used by large corporations with server farms...like colleges, businesses, and server providers.

wireless conection raises your ping as well... take that into consideration.

i live in Lithuania (middle Europe) and have optical cabble internet. And here is 150-170ms ping. Dont know is it low or high, but is ok for me.. I just mad on mine neighbour's, for downloading *** when i play hb :D. Thats why the best internet here is at night time :(

Edited by Emke

i live in Lithuania (middle Europe) and have optical cabble internet. And here is 150-170ms ping. Dont know is it low or high, but is ok for me.. I just mad on mine neighbour's, for downloading *** when i play hb :D. Thats why the best internet here is at night time :(

lol, thats why i don't share internet with neighbours lool

local traffic always affects your latency, even if its not on your line it still all goes to the same local exchange for processing so has to spend atleast a couple ms queing

Im just glad i got better ping than farjat ( varies from 120 - 180 ) and i live lots of thousands more miles away from USA.

although i have noticed that CLEAN PC makes you run much much much more faster :D

Im just glad i got better ping than farjat ( varies from 120 - 180 ) and i live lots of thousands more miles away from USA.

although i have noticed that CLEAN PC makes you run much much much more faster :D

but farjat doesn't live in USA neither

Edited by cilin

ping = delay

delay = physical distance to the server by CABLES !

if you drive from new york to las vegas, you don't drive in a straight line !! you need to follow the roads.

Same way goes for internet traffic, you need to follow "roads" to get to your destination.

The more trafic points (= routers) you need to pass, the longer it takes to get there (= more delay)